*Buff Orpington Thread!*

I just got a new buff orpington pullet, and a barred rock pullet. They are both around 4-6 months old. The Orrington's name is Ester, from the bible. The barred rock's name is Ruth, from the bible. Any Idea when that they should start laying?

If they are six months they should start any time.

My really friendly buff
Aww so cute!!!! Looks just like my little ones. I also have a 3 year old barred rock roo, 5 red sexlinks & 3 New Hampshire hens 1year old I raised from chicks last year. I have 14 eggs in the incubator from them should hatch on the 25th

Aww so cute!!!! Looks just like my little ones. I also have a 3 year old barred rock roo, 5 red sexlinks & 3 New Hampshire hens 1year old I raised from chicks last year. I have 14 eggs in the incubator from them should hatch on the 25th

Nice! We have 12 Buffs (straight run), 6 Silver Laced Wyandottes (straight run) and 6 pullets (mix of EEs and a couple other breeds that we won't know until grown). :) One of the EEs and this buff are super friendly. This buff will run and plop in my hand immediately when you stick your hand in the brooder. Can't get to ya fast enough. The EE is super friendly once caught. She likes to snuggle :)

The other ones all run from us and aren't mean, but don't like being caught. lol

Got another question. I know that the SOP Buffs are the pure breds of the BO's so, what are the hatchery BO's crossed with to make them smaller and is it true that the SOP's don't lay as well?
Hatchery BOs have had Leghorn crossed in. They will lay well the first year, but tend to burn out quickly. Real SOP bred Orps will lay well for 4 , to 5 years.My SOP Orps lay like crazy, and keep on laying for years.

Hatchery BOs have had Leghorn crossed in. They will lay well the first year, but tend to burn out quickly. Real SOP bred Orps will lay well for 4 , to 5 years.My SOP Orps lay like crazy, and keep on laying for years.

What is a SOP bred Orpington? Newbie to all this. I love breed and would love to one day have some babies hatching for new girls in the future to raise. I only have one BO hen now and two RIR's. Thus is way future dreams. :)

What is a SOP bred Orpington? Newbie to all this. I love breed and would love to one day have some babies hatching for new girls in the future to raise. I only have one BO hen now and two RIR's. Thus is way future dreams.
smile.png
The American Poultry Association publishes the breed standards for all breeds of Large Fowl , Bantams, and Waterfowl.It is called the Standard of Perfection. Everyone who breeds birds should own one. It is referred to as the SOP. All breeders who show, or breed very good birds, breed to the specifications in the standard. Hatcheries do not.

There is also a lot of really good information in the SOP. The first 40 pages will teach anyone a lot about poultry, and all the breeds have colored illustrations of correct examples of each breed. Here is a link to the APA : amerpoultyryassn.com.

Just got my first BO and named her Phoebe...she's petrified of my tiny Sussex star (little does she know my Sussex star is actually just a wimp with a loud voice haha) :)

My really friendly buff. Still needs a name. These guys/gals are growing so fast! They're about a week old now.

Out of curiosity, is it too early to give a guess to gender on this one? There are about 4 in the mix that I'm pretty sure are roos already.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom