*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Johnn, where are you located? You don't have your location in your avatar area. We can't know if we're close to where you live if you don't do that.

If you want to put eggs under a broody and make sure she has something to raise, I'd give her more than two.
I only ever give 2. If they dont hatch I get day olds. I can't risk having loads of chicks, I hate getting rid of them and there will be other broodies so I like to have as less as possible. I am in the UK.

I only ever give 2. If they dont hatch I get day olds. I can't risk having loads of chicks, I hate getting rid of them and there will be other broodies so I like to have as less as possible. I am in the UK.
Then, maybe you should add your location to your avatar/ID area. I didn't know where you were.

Giving day olds is fine, but if you get 3-4 eggs, you won't have loads of chicks. Usually, at least one won't hatch for some reason.

Just wanted to say goodbye for a while. I've had the shock of my life. I'm getting ready to have open heart surgery. I'm in the hospital this very moment. Surgery on Monday. Evidently I had a small heart attack and didn't know it. This is a really bad time as my neighbor presented me 4 more buffs Wednesday. Have to keep the older chicks and the little ones separate. Won't be able to put out a garden or my flowers this year. So upset
hit.gif
Gonna miss some of the growing up of my babies. My bigger ones outside won't be getting out to free range for a while because there are several large dogs roaming the area. Afraid to let them out. Pour girls, they loved it so.

Oh yes, I took two buffs back to the feed store and exchanged them for 2 Golden Sex Links. Mix it up a little. Anyway, signing off for about a week.

Good luck - that is some shock. Better you take care of yourself so the babies have you when they grow up!
hugs.gif
from all of us.

So sorry about you having to go through this!

Just a comment on the chick exchange. I'm surprised they would take chicks back. Well, not surprised but actually irritated and appalled that they would do something so reckless. I think that is a HUGE mistake to do so for any feed store and a danger to their other customers, not necessarily in your case, but in general. If someone put their new chicks in with sick chicks, then took them back and the store exchanged them and put the newly exposed chicks in the bin with the others and some unsuspecting person bought them and took them home, they risk exposing their entire flock to a new disease. That is truly bad business and should not be allowed, period.
The feed store knows me very well and trusts me since I know more about chickens than they do. They won't do it for anyone else but since I brought them back within 2 hours of purchase and they know I wouldn't expose them to anything.

News nugget. After a hiatus of 10 years from shows, I took Greedy to his first show today. He won Champ. Large Fowl, and went on to win Grand Champion of the Show at 8 months old. Res. Champion of the Pee Dee PC Show, was a very nice Dark Cornish bantam by Mark Beasley.

Greedy is by Monty, out of a Monty daughter.

The feed store knows me very well and trusts me since I know more about chickens than they do. They won't do it for anyone else but since I brought them back within 2 hours of purchase and they know I wouldn't expose them to anything.
thumbsup.gif
There is a particular feed store in town with which I have some leeway, however, their practices have become so shoddy over the years that they no longer have any leeway with me.

News nugget. After a hiatus of 10 years from shows, I took Greedy to his first show today. He won Champ. Large Fowl, and went on to win Grand Champion of the Show at 8 months old. Res. Champion of the Pee Dee PC Show, was a very nice Dark Cornish bantam by Mark Beasley.

Greedy is by Monty, out of a Monty daughter.

That"s Great !!!!!!!! He a Pretty Boy!!

Back
Top Bottom