*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Do any of you think that chickens respond to baby talk?  If not then I need to rethink my vocal nuances, but if you think they do respond to a certain pitch then I can continue to be the idiot I am with my chickens.  I do know they know my voice and  recognize me.  Any thoughts from you chicken experts?  
Oh my goodness, I do the same exact thing! Somebody please rell us we are being such goofballs for a good reason...

yes.

...I don't really know, but I do it.

My puppy and dogs respond. Why wouldn't my chickens?
An angry voice said to the puppy makes the puppy think, "oh-oh, maybe I should stop doing what I am doing."
A sweet cooing voice says, "This is good." and the laughing shrieking ball tossing 'comere' voice makes her think, "This is the best life EVER!"

I do not think my chickens would respond to a tennis ball, but they do enjoy sitting in my lap and getting petted.

I have had a disastrous year with Tractor Supply chickens. I purchased 10 straight run Buff Orpingtons and right off, it turns out that 5 of them are Red Sex Links. Now I'm questioning the parentage of the remainders. They look much redder than my older Buffs. Do I just have a darker strain of Buffs or have I been hoodwinked yet again? They look much like a buff-rhode island red mix hen I have. The chickens are about 15 weeks old.

Also, I have placed the new "buffs", cockerals and pullets, in a pen adjacent to the pen the Big Girls (all my laying hens) are in. And my hens have quit laying. Are they freaked out by the two roosters in such close proximity? Should I move the cockerals away?

But there are two cockerals in there, so they can't be Sex Links, right? I've moved the RSL from this group (put them in the hen house so they can start getting comfortable with the hens before it's time for laying).

Here are my two (along with my two wyandotte's)
they were coming in for the night and getting situated
my wife bought these for home from a feed store on mothers day

I have had a disastrous year with Tractor Supply chickens. I purchased 10 straight run Buff Orpingtons and right off, it turns out that 5 of them are Red Sex Links. Now I'm questioning the parentage of the remainders. They look much redder than my older Buffs. Do I just have a darker strain of Buffs or have I been hoodwinked yet again? They look much like a buff-rhode island red mix hen I have. The chickens are about 15 weeks old.

Also, I have placed the new "buffs", cockerals and pullets, in a pen adjacent to the pen the Big Girls (all my laying hens) are in. And my hens have quit laying. Are they freaked out by the two roosters in such close proximity? Should I move the cockerals away?

Well, I doubt it will make you feel any better, but I bought a golden sexton and it turned out to be a buff orpington!

Back
Top Bottom