*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Such Pretty Girls Johnn! Beautiful view they get to enjoy too
smile.png
(I see Oeflay snuck in for a pose a well--cute!)

Buff Chicks are so cute and they turn into such sweethearts
love.gif
Cold watermelon is a favorite for sure!
Thank you! :)

I tried that last year. But squash bugs killed all of my plants. Those things are awful

Ducks and geese love squash bugs, and usually won't damage garden plants as they forage.That was one of the benefits that we found when we had ducks.

The chickens would very shortly destroy the garden, but our ducks would wonder around the garden looking for bugs and worms. They did very little nibbling on plants as long as there was other food available.

So once or twice a week I'd drop the ducks in the garden for an hour or two...no squash bugs.

I tried that last year. But squash bugs killed all of my plants. Those things are awful

Ducks and geese love squash bugs, and usually won't damage garden plants as they forage.That was one of the benefits that we found when we had ducks.

The chickens would very shortly destroy the garden, but our ducks would wonder around the garden looking for bugs and worms. They did very little nibbling on plants as long as there was other food available.

So once or twice a week I'd drop the ducks in the garden for an hour or two...no squash bugs.

I had ducks, then a racoon struck my coop :( But I want to try to get them again they were very fun to have.

X2

Never had any problem feeding apples to mine. I hang fruits and vegetables whole in the run for them to pick at and eat. I would think that a single chicken would have to eat a very large quantity of apple seeds for them to become sick.

Most winter squash (pumpkin, butternut, etc.) I usually try to just store as is with out freezing them. If I am overrun, then I may bake some, then freeze for baking later on , if spoilage seems to be an issue.  Even a baked pumpkin, butternut, spaghetti squash, I give them the baked outer shell after the pulp had been removed (give them the seeds too). They will pick at the crunchy shell, keeps them busy. A side note, I had a dog that insanely loved the baked shell of spaghetti squash, so I would let it cool, then break into pieces and then give him a piece occasionally as a treat (I froze the shell pieces to keep them longer).

Thank you @organic farm wife & @wyorp rock for all of the great ideas!

As for the hanging fruit, what do you use to hang it?

Thank you @organic farm wife & @wyorp rock for all of the great ideas!

As for the hanging fruit, what do you use to hang it?

This is an older photo , but I have a large bolt with large washer and nut at the bottom to hold the fruit. It works well for cabbage (drill a hole first), large squash etc., as well. I take the bolt off and hang large bundles of kale from the garden or bamboo, etc. by the rope. Its on a pulley to the ceiling in the run, so I can raise/lower as needed. I also use a suet basket and stuff it with kale/greens and hang that on one of the outside perches for them to pick at.

I believe I saw a wire ball of some sort sold online to hold fruit/veggies to hang up, but so far this has worked well for me.

Such a distinguished looking couple!
You have a way with words
lol.png

Last edited:

This is an older photo , but I have a large bolt with large washer and nut at the bottom to hold the fruit. It works well for cabbage (drill a hole first), large squash etc., as well. I take the bolt off and hang large bundles of kale from the garden or bamboo, etc. by the rope. Its on a pulley to the ceiling in the run, so I can raise/lower as needed. I also use a suet basket and stuff it with kale/greens and hang that on one of the outside perches for them to pick at.

I believe I saw a wire ball of some sort sold online to hold fruit/veggies to hang up, but so far this has worked well for me.

That is a GENIUS idea!!
th.gif
love.gif
Thank you for letting me know how, I will try it out. I had seen the suet basket but they were cloth so I thought they might eat that?!?

Your chickens btw are gorgeous. Where did you get them??

I am enjoying this Buff Orpington thread. I have a 12 week BO whom we call "Baby". She is very sweet and does not mind being held. She helps herself to my lap, arm, leg or back when I am in the run.

I am interested in the other colors available and wonder if they have similar personalities or is it just the Buff color that is so sweet and loving?

I am enjoying this Buff Orpington thread. I have a 12 week BO whom we call "Baby". She is very sweet and does not mind being held. She helps herself to my lap, arm, leg or back when I am in the run.

I am interested in the other colors available and wonder if they have similar personalities or is it just the Buff color that is so sweet and loving?

I had it explained to me in reference to labrador retrievers. The labrador retriever has three colors but all have the same great labrador personality. (Give and take shyness etc in some)
The Orpington is an amazing breed, regardless of color.

Would love to see pictures of yours!

Back
Top Bottom