*Buff Orpington Thread!*

My goodness! That boy could double as a Butter Ball Turkey! Do you know how much he weighs?

Yes, that is what I like about all my pure and cross bred Buff O boys. They are gentle. Even my BO/Welly crosses. My Welly roosters are big unfriendly boys but cross them with a Buff O hen and you get a BIG, gentle rooster which is what I was hoping to see happen. The cockerels also develop faster than the Buff O boys.

He's English. From the last time I picked him up, I'd probably estimate him close to ten pounds already. He's broad like a turkey! His breeder is just dying to get eggs from him and the two pullets I kept:

We got the 1st egg on 8/20 when they were 18 weeks and 5 days old...they will be 22 weeks old tomorrow 9/12. We have slowly worked our way up to 6 eggs some days and 4 or 5 other days.

A few years ago we had one BO girl (we called her little red) to lay on the day she was 18 weeks old...seems like we always have at least one early girl and she laid almost every day thereafter, we had 15 more girls and we didn't get another one to lay until 4 weeks from the day we got little red's first egg.

I just sold 14 ISA Browns who were egg laying machines...we raised them to point of lay and then sold them. The first one of the ISA's laid at 14 weeks and 6 days old...and everyday thereafter I think. Within 2 weeks we were getting 13-14 BIG beautiful brown eggs per day...!
thx:) it's so odd to know what we give them and they're all raised together, even same breed for some & they still vary so much on laying.

I agree he's one good looking fella, I like them because they are so big, but mostly gentle. You are making me want another one. Perhaps next year.
Thanks! I think he's handsome. I love to watch him, he's a big lug, not all that graceful - looks like a drunken sailor when trying to dance for the girls
lau.gif
makes me laugh.

You wanna talk about big? This guy is only 6 months old, if he ever turns on me, I'm done for.........

He's a big beauty!

I have to admit that I have a soft spot for the English bred Buff Orpingtons. Soft enough to put a pair on my want list.

For all his gangliness, my long legged boy is great with the young birds. I have 8 13 week old juveniles that for some reason come outside every evening about 30 minutes before sunset and guess who is out with them? Rocky of the long legs. He doesn't go in until he is sure I have everyone rounded up and heading in. His name, actually, is Rocky as he got off to a rocky start hatching inside in a little cheapo incubator as momma had deserted him just as he was pipping. I helped him out of his shell so I have to admit that he has a special place in the flock. The other little cockerel is named Rosey. Well, I really thought he was a girl and so the name stuck. After all there is a Rosey Greer. I'm going to try to get a picture of Junior, my other full blooded Buff O cockerel and Primo, his BIG brother tomorrow.

Aww, what a good boy, I've found them as a breed to be great with chicks. I've shared this before, but it makes me proud.

My rooster just stood there this spring as a young chick picked at his wattles. This was the first day of the chicks out with the big ones. My boy has seen 4 harsh winters so his comb has lost all its points. He's a great rooster.

Love seeing everyone's buff Orpington roosters.

Last edited:
@mamatink7
mine are 26 weeks old this week, nice red combs and wattles but no squatting, no interest in the nesting box and no eggs - even checked the orchard where they free range - nothing yet! We'll just have to be patient - you can't hurry nature
smile.png

If I remember right my original BO girls did not start laying until they were almost 7 months old.

I had a chick get away from its mother once and run up to my full grown BO rooster. My first thought was 'Oh NO! Dead chick for sure!' The chick looked up at the rooster the rooster down at the tiny chick, then much to my surprise the rooster bend down, found a piece of cracked corn and offered it to the baby. All I could do was stand there with my mouth open.

They are such gentle roosters.

Back
Top Bottom