Building a refrigerator egg incubator.

lively Bee's

Songster
12 Years
Feb 6, 2007
Ok I am converting a old worm frig that came out from walmart "they pitched it out b/c it quit working and I saved it from a junk yard"
lol.png
As a mechanic I kinda have my own junk yard
big_smile.png

I would like to know do most of you hatch more eggs with the fat end of the egg up or with them on their side? I plan on adding or building a automatic turner. The math works out it should hold 180 - 200 eggs with no problem and have room on the bottom for a basket to pip in or to catch the chicks in.

A little more about this incubator

Forced air best I figer it is about 350 - 400 cfm
200 w heat coil
Solid State Thermostat w/ wafer back up
It has a uv insulated glass door
and has 2" of insulation in the side top and bottom
We are looking at adding remote temp and hum. so that we can check the temp and hum from inside the house or adding a bater cam so that we check the temp and hum.

It is some what based off this bater http://www.utm.edu/departments/cece/idea/incu.shtml

Thank
you

Last edited:
Well, I'm hatching mine on their side, with the little end pointed down (there's a dip in the wire so I can angle them), but big-side-up is good too : P

Good luck!!!

You need the big end up or slightly up so that the embryo situates itself correctly. Turning the egg from Day 1 through Day 18 gives the embryo exercise and prevents it from adhering the the egg wall. On Day 19 you stop turning. This is especially important around hatch time as it needs to be oriented towards the big end for a sucessful hatch rate. Make sure the big end is tilted up for hatching. Good luck with the fridge incubator! Wish I knew how to convert the full size one in my garage...
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom