Building my first coop! - progress thread

Pics
It's looking very unlikely that I'll find those steel panels. I'm probably going to do shingles after all.... I didn't expect this but they seem to be cheaper than the metal roofing panels. By a lot! So, in all likelihood, I'll be installing shingles this weekend (if I don't get rained out).

Shingles will be just fine . My original plan was a shingle roof because I was not going to special order metal panels , went with metal because Lowes stocked it . For my roof shingles with decking and ice shield would have cost me about $50 so it was almost a wash .

Shingles will be just fine . My original plan was a shingle roof because I was not going to special order metal panels , went with metal because Lowes stocked it . For my roof shingles with decking and ice shield would have cost me about $50 so it was almost a wash .
I didn't want shingles because they require more work to install, and not that I mind work - I love construction - but my coop is jammed in a corner and hard to get to, so climbing on the roof is tricky. But I was already planning on decking for the roof anyway, and tar paper, so the difference is really just metal roof vs. shingles, at which point the shingles would be cheaper.

What's an ice shield though?

I didn't want shingles because they require more work to install, and not that I mind work - I love construction - but my coop is jammed in a corner and hard to get to, so climbing on the roof is tricky. But I was already planning on decking for the roof anyway, and tar paper, so the difference is really just metal roof vs. shingles, at which point the shingles would be cheaper.

What's an ice shield though?

Ice shied is a sticky backed rubber like membrane usually put in place of the bottom run of tar paper , it protects the deck from ice pushing up under the lower courses of shingles . It a very good product and its also kinda pricey. Here is a link to one brand .

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Grace-Ice-...t-200-sq-ft-Rubber-Roof-Underlayment/50051135

Ice shied is a sticky backed rubber like membrane usually put in place of the bottom run of tar paper , it protects the deck from ice pushing up under the lower courses of shingles . It a very good product and its also kinda pricey. Here is a link to one brand .

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Grace-Ice-...t-200-sq-ft-Rubber-Roof-Underlayment/50051135
Oh... well... now I'm quite confused. Roofing is new to me, and I thought there was one layer of underlayment under the shingles... Then I started watching youtube videos of roof installation and noticed different products being used there. And terms being used somewhat interchangeably - roofing paper, roofing felt, tar paper, tar felt.... Some "roofing paper" looks quite like paper. The roll I got is very thick and rubbery, like a yoga mat. Says it offers weather protection (and it was $18, not too pricey). Would that suffice, or do I still have to get a separate ice shield?

Here's the product I have:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tarah-A...erlayment-15-TARAH-ASTM-4869-TYPE-I/202564192

Oh... well... now I'm quite confused. Roofing is new to me, and I thought there was one layer of underlayment under the shingles... Then I started watching youtube videos of roof installation and noticed different products being used there. And terms being used somewhat interchangeably - roofing paper, roofing felt, tar paper, tar felt.... Some "roofing paper" looks quite like paper. The roll I got is very thick and rubbery, like a yoga mat. Says it offers weather protection (and it was $18, not too pricey). Would that suffice, or do I still have to get a separate ice shield?

Here's the product I have:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tarah-A...erlayment-15-TARAH-ASTM-4869-TYPE-I/202564192

Your roof will be fine with tar paper as an underlayment , Thousands and thousands of roofs were and probably still are being installed without ice shield . I only mentioned it because I was going to use it if I went with shingles . Its just another of those extras you could use but really don't have too . A properly installed shingle roof with tar paper as underlayment will last a good long time .

Back
Top Bottom