Building permits for coops?

SkeeredChicken

Songster
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I'm not sure if this topic has yet come up on the board. I live in the state of Florida (of course - listed on my forum info
big_smile.png
). I've done extensive searches on information to the possibility to having to buy a permist to build an 8x8x8 coop for my chicks and maybe future ducks. I'm not sure how it goes in other states, or in Florida, for that matter. Though I have heard rumors. So if anyone has experience or knows for sure, please let us all know
big_smile.png

Much appreciated

I don't know about Florida Skeered, but unless you are using concrete in any part of your structure, you don't have to have a permit. Your measurements are at the max for getting a free permit here in Illinois should one decide to use concrete. My city code also states that the constructed building has to be within 200 feet of the residental building in order to qualify for the free permit and a minimum of 300 feet away from the city's line from the street.

Might just be easier for you to give your city hall a call and ask. Different cities have specific zoning laws dedicated to that specific city. I sound like I ran a big circle around your question, but I hope it helped a little.
smile.png

Depending on where you live meaning in the county or the city contact you local building department and they can give you all the information you need.

If they tell you that you have to have a permit for a permanent structure, ask if you have to have one for a "portable" structure (in my city, temporary structures require permits, as well!!). If you haven't already built your coop, you might then consider building it so that it has wheels or 4x4 "skid-runners", and (at least in theory) they would have some mechanism (like a yoke or holes where you could thread a chain) so you could drag your coop with your truck or riding lawn mower. That's what saved me from dealing with permits and the fact that my hens aren't "legal" here in the city (although, if my neighbors don't complain, the structure itself will not cause the city to come investigate).

Actually, I'm building an 8x8x8 more permanent structure. Sort of like a mini barn. I want like 2 ducks, females to name em Abigail and Daisy, lol (or Donald and Daisy with a male and female). So hopefully it can house them all. I wanted a little bit of a more different chicken assortment, but I could settle with 2 ducks
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom