Bullying or illness?

KimbosKluckers

Songster
Mar 11, 2024
White Mountains of Arizona
I just noticed today one of my gals (8 months) has missing feathers on her neck. I hope it’s molting…no rooster. No injuries but a big bald patch and several bare quills. I’ve never noticed any bullying but maybe when I’m not looking? Though I’m near 90% of the time. I don’t see parasites but would I? Kind of worried, she’s a bit mentally slower than her 5 sisters, even her comb is small. She eats and drinks and forages just fine. 20% all flock pellets, occasional treats like seeds and spinach…thanks. Very hard to get photos with one hand while I hold her.
IMG_4155.jpeg
IMG_4155.jpeg
IMG_4154.jpeg
IMG_4154.jpeg

Last edited:
I just noticed today one of my gals (8 months) has missing feathers on her neck. I hope it’s molting…no rooster. No injuries but a big bald patch and several bare quills. I’ve never noticed any bullying but maybe when I’m not looking? Though I’m near 90% of the time. I don’t see parasites but would I? Kind of worried, she’s a bit mentally slower than her 5 sisters, even her comb is small. She eats and drinks and forages just fine. 20% all flock pellets, occasional treats like seeds and spinach…thanks. Very hard to get photos with one hand while I hold her. View attachment 3970100View attachment 3970100View attachment 3970101View attachment 3970101
Can you get a photo of all of her?

She's got pin feathers coming in, so this is either molting or regrowing feathers in a spot that was previously plucked.

You can check her vent for mites but if there’s not it could just be molting.
I didn’t see anything, would they be noticeable? She has always been the only one that will not come to me willingly so it’s tough.
Can you get a photo of all of her?

She's got pin feathers coming in, so this is either molting or regrowing feathers in a spot that was previously plucked.
She’s looking “ratty” here and there but her neck is bare. There are a lot of feathers under where she was roosting last night too. Here’s a few whole photos.
IMG_4160.jpeg
IMG_4159.jpeg
IMG_4158.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
IMG_4156.jpeg

I didn’t see anything, would they be noticeable? She has always been the only one that will not come to me willingly so it’s tough.

She’s looking “ratty” here and there but her neck is bare. There are a lot of feathers under where she was roosting last night too. Here’s a few whole photos. View attachment 3970472View attachment 3970473View attachment 3970474View attachment 3970475View attachment 3970476
You would have to really look in her feathers to see the mites.

Back
Top Bottom