Bumblefoot Mystery

Nope, it wont heal. Its a infection so it wont just go away unless you get antibiotics. Give your hens treats when they go to get there "pedicure" then they will really enjoy it. Like my hen! You can place a towel over them, to make sure they dont flap thete wings. (Odiviously not over her head.) It does not really hurt them, just be gentle. Blood is fine, too much. Not that fine. Be gentle enough so that if they move there foot quickly, you wont hurt them. Also make sure not to wrap the vet wrap to tight.
so then are you suggesting i cut her foot open or just keep peeling the scab away?

Just keep applying Prid, around 2 days from now. Then epson soak with warm but not to hot water. Then once you see it start to lift, peal it off with sterile tweezers, and if you need: cuticle scissors.
then repeat the process until the bumble comes away with it im assuming?

what if over time the scab just gets smaller and does not bring any bumble out?

then repeat the process until the bumble comes away with it im assuming?

what if over time the scab just gets smaller and does not bring any bumble out?
This happened to one of our chickens - she had double bumble foot - both feet. We did the soaking, medicating, wrapping procedure and would peel away any lose scabbing as we could. It took 9 weeks to cure her. We never had any puss come out at all, despite the squeezing, the scabs just reduced in size until they disappeared and her feet returned to normal. I only cut on her the first attempt and chose not to thereafter as I didn't like all the blood and I know it hurt her. It is a long slow process but stick with it and it will work.

This happened to one of our chickens - she had double bumble foot - both feet. We did the soaking, medicating, wrapping procedure and would peel away any lose scabbing as we could. It took 9 weeks to cure her. We never had any puss come out at all, despite the squeezing, the scabs just reduced in size until they disappeared and her feet returned to normal. I only cut on her the first attempt and chose not to thereafter as I didn't like all the blood and I know it hurt her. It is a long slow process but stick with it and it will work.
looks like im in it for the long run. Thank you for your insight. I am just worried at how large the base of her foot is, but i guess i gotta trust the process

It does become an arduous process but I kept thinking about how it must feel for her. We kept at it, every other night, a new soak, etc. I let her feet "rest" for a day and let the antibiotic cream do it's thing. I also soaked a non stick gauze pad with Vetrycin spray to stick to her foot on top of the triple antibiotic before wrapping with vetwrap. TSC sells vetwrap four rolls to a bag so that should be more than enough to get you through.

It does become an arduous process but I kept thinking about how it must feel for her. We kept at it, every other night, a new soak, etc. I let her feet "rest" for a day and let the antibiotic cream do it's thing. I also soaked a non stick gauze pad with Vetrycin spray to stick to her foot on top of the triple antibiotic before wrapping with vetwrap. TSC sells vetwrap four rolls to a bag so that should be more than enough to get you through.
good to know, gotta just brace in for it i guess

so here is the new routine

soak with epsom salts, peel the scab, wrap with neosporin after idoine cleanse.

sit for two days, change the bandages and gauze, keep applying prid and neosporin,

after each week ill peel the scab and repeat

Yes it is a staph infection. Neosporin is a antibotic so that it keeps it mosite and creats a barrier from germs.
In that case, I have Mupiricin ointment on hand so I think I am going to try it on my rooster. I'm also going to get some Hibiclens for washing his feet before treating, and I strongly advise anyone treating bumblefoot to wear gloves and/or wash their own hands with Hibiclens afterward. Any towels you use need to either be disposable or washed in hot water. Staph can be serious!

Yes. We soaked every other day in addition to fresh bandages. The other thing I discovered was wrapping a very small thin strip of electrical tape around the shank where the vet wrap ended to secure it as our girl always found a way to unravel her wrapping. She would pick on the end until it started to peel away.
Remember - no wrapping should be too tight but secure enough to not rub off when they are scratching.

Back
Top Bottom