BYC Member Interview - WoDia

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
@WoDia

Come say hello to Heather who comes to us from Ohio and has been a member since January 2022.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. And is there a story behind your member name?
I was raised on a farm in Ohio. At a very young age, my parents introduced me to many aspects of farming, including raising our animals, gardening, and a great appreciation for nature. I have so many fond memories of life on our farm. I remember going to “slop” the pigs. Frequently, I’d get my boots mired in the mud, see mama pig and babies come running, and be struggling to get out of the way. I’d throw my little feed bucket as far as I could, so I wouldn’t get trampled! We also raised horses, cattle, chickens, ducks, rabbits, dogs, cats, fish, and even cared for the wildlife. I loved gathering eggs, playing with chicks, riding my horses, and helping in the gardens. I also spent every moment I could out in the forest. My real name is Heather. The meaning behind my member name consists of a nickname, Wo, that my Uncles’ gave me (they liked hearing me say whoa! as I was riding my horses, and that’s my nickname to this day), and Dia is the short version of my Greek surname. I’ve been married to my terrific (and chicken-tolerating) husband for 18 years. We have an 11 year old son, who is the ruler of our world… and our hearts. We’ve had our 2 farms (both built in the 1800s) for over 20 years, and a house close to Lake Erie. I’m an Anthropologist, and my husband sold his company to retire and enjoy farm life.
Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.00.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.00.44 AM.png

2. Why and when did you start keeping poultry?
I began with my own flock about 17 years ago (chickens, turkeys, quail, pheasants). Several years into having my own flock, I incorporated my father’s flock, after he became ill. Currently, I’m very happy to have descendants from the 2 original flocks! These chickens, in particular, are extremely special. I continue breeding them to carry on the family lines. I’ve also added many more over the years by breeding my own… and from rescues and “gifting”.
Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.02.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.02.52 AM.png

3. Which aspects of poultry keeping do you enjoy the most?
They bring me joy and peace. I’m busy 7 days a week. But, every single day, I look forward to spending time with all of them. I enjoy my interactions with them, learning their behaviors, their personalities. There’s something very calming and uplifting about observing a chicken.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
I remember them all, but I have a group who have imprinted more deeply on my heart. I wish I could share something about each one of them, but I’d have to write a book!

Sparrow was a member of the original flock. She was a young white Easter Egger, who loved being cuddled. She’d run into my hand every time I held it out. I lost her young by a terrible accident, but that baby chicken made such a huge impact on me. I think of her often and have named some others Sparrow since then.

Toffee was my 1st house-raised male Bobwhite quail. He was my little buddy. He was a lap-sitter and paper trained. And, he listened so well. I’d tell him to go to his bed (yes, he had a little bed), I’d point to it, and he’d go! Since then, I’ve had Toffee 2… and currently have Toffee 3, and Toffee 4 in the brooder! They’re all the original Toffees descendants!
Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.05.04 AM.png

Tieri was a beautiful, sweet, dainty Gambels quail female. She was sadly crippled (the person that I bought her from let the metal leg band get too tight). She got around quite well, hopping and using her wings. I carried her around with me a lot, and she seemed content going along with me doing chores.

Molly was an Easter Egger, hatched by my Blue Slate turkey hen, Astrid. I took her away from Astrid after hatch due to concerns of her possibly being crushed. I hand-raised her. She went everywhere around the farm with me, and I miss our walks together. Since then, I have her descendants in my flock. Molly, and her 1st egg, in the photo below. The other photo is Astrid.
Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.06.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.06.39 AM.png

Devereaux was a white frizzle rooster. He was so adorable… a tiny poofball running across the grass. I remember finding him one day hanging upside down by his spurs! After that, I was sure to trim them often. I felt terrible seeing him like that. He’s going through a hard molt in the photo below.
Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.07.43 AM.png

Swayze was a white-crested polish. She had the sweetest personality. She was afraid of the flock, so she had her own enclosure with Devereaux.

Astrid and Aster, my Blue Slate turkeys, hatched Jupiter and Jessamyn. Jessamyn was born blind, with one eye. We built him a special enclosure, where everything was easily accessible. He learned quite well, but I still fed him by hand for extra nutrition. He lived a very long and contented life with his sister as a companion. They were spoiled rotten, and I miss their sweetness.
Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.08.42 AM.png

Coya’s extremely special. I removed that tiny egg from the parents, when I knew that there was a huge risk of being trampled by older siblings. Coya hatched in the incubator, and I fed the itsy bitsy baby budgie every 1-2 hours for days and days at first… even taking a little portable brooder box along with me and feeding Coya when I traveled. The bond we have is incredible, and I would definitely raise a budgie hatchling over and over again… and since then, I have.
Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.09.44 AM.png

Stafford is 15 years old. I bought/rescued her when she was a chick, with a broken and badly healing wing. After exotic vet visits, I was told she likely could never fly. But… I have to keep her wings clipped, because she’s an amazing flyer! She loves riding everywhere with me… on the tractor, atv, utv, car, truck. She loves it as long as she’s with me.
Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.10.41 AM.png

Seasons is my very first Serama. She spent the first month of her life seeing me as her entire world. She helped me brood 4 siblings at 4 weeks old. She’s my special little princess.
Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.11.38 AM.png

Evvie (Black Serama/Mille Fleur d’Uccle hybrid) is my shadow. After a desperate assisted hatch, I raised her as a lone chick for a month, since she was terrified of other chickens. I introduced her to Clovie (Serama) and finally she accepted one of her own. Evvie still prefers to be with only me, even now. Every chance she has, she’s zipping through the house, climbing the stairs to my bedroom, laying on the kitchen throw rugs, or jumping onto the blanket on the sofa. That tiny girl follows me everywhere! The 2nd photo is Evvie and Clovie, in the back.
Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.13.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.14.20 AM.png

This is Kiki. She was very attached to me. She’d scream as loud as she could, until I went and got her. She always wanted held and was very affectionate, for a King quail. She was so attached to me that she felt the need to lay her eggs in my lap or hand!
Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 9.15.16 AM.png

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
There are a few things that come to mind… Basil, my white LF Silkie rooster likes to play an annoying game with me. It’s called “Catch me if you can!” He’s so ornery! He’ll wait until I’m ready to pick him up. Then he takes off at full speed, and I chase him all over the place. Finally, I’ll get frustrated and tell him to go ahead and sleep outside alone. I walk away, and then ornery boy walks inside on his own. He makes me crazy, because I’ve wasted too much time with his game! It was before my time, but I watched some old Benny Hill episodes, and that chase scene music plays in my head, when I’m chasing him! I had a male Broad-breasted Bronze turkey, Gryphon, who was very protective of me and our son. He would get between us and everybody else and not let them anywhere near. He would frequently chase vehicles all of the way down the lane, until they were out of sight! He was always chasing my husband, and it was funny to watch! He never minded. It became sort of a game between those 2. When our son was 1 1/2-2 years old, Jupiter (my Blue Slate turkey hen) started mothering him. She went everywhere he went, always nestled against him. It was pretty funny seeing a turkey hen attempting to sit on the lap of a 2 year old, when he was sitting in the grass playing!

6. Beside poultry, what other pets do you keep?
Leopard tortoises, axolotls, bettas, gouramis, pictus catfish, cat, Australian shepherds, cattle, rabbits, conures, budgies, Australian Sugar Gliders

7. Anything you'd like to add?
I want to say THANK YOU to the INCREDIBLE people who make this community so valuable for poultry owners seeking support and advice. And, I’ve found amazing people here that I’m proud to call FRIEND!

@WoDia

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

introducing-vip-member-interviews

Back
Top Bottom