BYC's 4th of July Star Spangled Hatch-Along

Pics
My fear kicked in with like, 9 days left lol
Not uncommon, especially for the first time. After a few, the tension goes down a little.

However, after several dozen hatches, I still get excited candling them and moving them to lockdown. I still check them 2 or 3 times a day, just looking for early pips. Once they start hatching, I walk away and go find something to do for a few hours. If it's evening, I watch a show with hubby and fall asleep. Then the next morning there's all kinds of fuzziness! It never gets old!

Not uncommon, especially for the first time. After a few, the tension goes down a little.

However, after several dozen hatches, I still get excited candling them and moving them to lockdown. I still check them 2 or 3 times a day, just looking for early pips. Once they start hatching, I walk away and go find something to do for a few hours. If it's evening, I watch a show with hubby and fall asleep. Then the next morning there's all kinds of fuzziness! It never gets old!
What should I be looking for at that last candling prior to lockdown? So far what I've seen is the vascular development that starts to happen around week 1, the second week, the dark space within the egg is much bigger, movement is always fun to see, too! And by the end it just looks like a dark eggs, mostly full of chick! Am I missing something?

What I've found most exciting so far was candling in that first week, because in the beginning I was setting some what were not yet fertile (I didn't want to lose any by cracking them to see) so once I started getting fertility, it's been pretty smooth sailing! I love seeing that first little giggly spider of development happening! I only had one that was weird at one week, but I had a feeling it might be since it was a little too big, the egg itself, but other than that, it's been pretty binary for me - either there is a chick growing in there, or there's not. 🤷

What should I be looking for at that last candling prior to lockdown? So far what I've seen is the vascular development that starts to happen around week 1, the second week, the dark space within the egg is much bigger, movement is always fun to see, too! And by the end it just looks like a dark eggs, mostly full of chick! Am I missing something?

What I've found most exciting so far was candling in that first week, because in the beginning I was setting some what were not yet fertile (I didn't want to lose any by cracking them to see) so once I started getting fertility, it's been pretty smooth sailing! I love seeing that first little giggly spider of development happening! I only had one that was weird at one week, but I had a feeling it might be since it was a little too big, the egg itself, but other than that, it's been pretty binary for me - either there is a chick growing in there, or there's not. 🤷
They're pretty filled up (dark) albeit their air cel. I'm just looking for movement, even if subtle. If I don't see movement but it looks the same as the ones that are moving around, I put an X with a pencil on that one and put it on one side of the incubator so I can keep track of it. If all the rest hatch but not that one with the X, I'll candle it again to be sure it's dead, or leave it in for another day or two.

If you see one half-filled, that one died. You shouldn't see anything moving unless you're moving the egg around making it move. Sometimes you'll see a dull blood ring but not always.

We have 5 out. 4 black copper Marans, and one Easter egger barnyard mix from my friend. Still waiting to hear from 2 black copper Marans, 2 olive eggers, and one more EE. It's day 22 and no more pips, so 5/10 might be it for us. But I'm happy with that!
Messenger_creation_e4806adf-ff16-4010-b6ce-0f3e5e958cfa_exported_33.jpg
PXL_20240629_021814824.TS_exported_1733_1719771648713.jpg

We have 5 out. 4 black copper Marans, and one Easter egger barnyard mix from my friend. Still waiting to hear from 2 black copper Marans, 2 olive eggers, and one more EE. It's day 22 and no more pips, so 5/10 might be it for us. But I'm happy with that!View attachment 3877642View attachment 3877643
That is an adorable photo of your daughters watching them hatch! :love

Congratulations! Cute chicks!

Back
Top Bottom