Cackle Mini Surprise coming! Grow-a-long!

That's fair! they are very messy and I presume I will be changing their 'bedding' each day. I need quite a few to sustain my family and as they're straight run I hope to have at least half hens so my future numbers are lesser
Very messy😂 yeah, that’s true you’ll need a lot to make sure you get enough hens
My brooder is very ugly! It is very much a fortress as they're outside and I would hate for anything to be attracted to it. (Including snooping neighbors) I hope to make my coop a little more appealing to the eyes, haha
Functional is what matters!

I've sat with them since my last update just paying attention to their behavior as I'm not entirely aware of all the different things they do yet.
They sleep like they're dead! I thought I had one gone when I checked this morning but it was just fully splayed out under the heat soaking it up. They make these adorable little piles, stretching their heads on each others backs only for one to charge through for no apparent reason! Very entertaining.

I would be afraid that I cannot tell lethargy from regular sleepiness beside less fussiness when picked up. Only one I would say was 'lethargic' which seemed cleared up after I had gotten it to poop.
Some of them do have a little mess around their vents but I don't think its blocking them up (yet). I did still check and brush water on the messy ones.
It seemed like just using a wet finger and lightly brushing the area worked fine, they did NOT like me holding a wet towel to their bums (understandable)

I spotted a roo for sure! Runs right up to my hand and pecks me when I'm holding one of them and his comb is quite defined where as the rest have little to nothing going on. (I know that's not a surefire way to tell but I feel pretty confident with this assessment) Little bastard.

I do believe my little black one is an Ayam, the vent is black as well as inside of the mouth, (although it is a bit dark and hard to tell as its so tiny)
I also believe I have a Houdan! I'm not very confident in my guesses but those are the two I think I could identify with 80% confidence.
Thank you everyone for reading, I am autistic with Adhd and this is very therapeutic for me. Pictures soon!

I've sat with them since my last update just paying attention to their behavior as I'm not entirely aware of all the different things they do yet.
They sleep like they're dead! I thought I had one gone when I checked this morning but it was just fully splayed out under the heat soaking it up. They make these adorable little piles, stretching their heads on each others backs only for one to charge through for no apparent reason! Very entertaining.

I would be afraid that I cannot tell lethargy from regular sleepiness beside less fussiness when picked up. Only one I would say was 'lethargic' which seemed cleared up after I had gotten it to poop.
Some of them do have a little mess around their vents but I don't think its blocking them up (yet). I did still check and brush water on the messy ones.
It seemed like just using a wet finger and lightly brushing the area worked fine, they did NOT like me holding a wet towel to their bums (understandable)

I spotted a roo for sure! Runs right up to my hand and pecks me when I'm holding one of them and his comb is quite defined where as the rest have little to nothing going on. (I know that's not a surefire way to tell but I feel pretty confident with this assessment) Little bastard.

I do believe my little black one is an Ayam, the vent is black as well as inside of the mouth, (although it is a bit dark and hard to tell as its so tiny)
I also believe I have a Houdan! I'm not very confident in my guesses but those are the two I think I could identify with 80% confidence.
Thank you everyone for reading, I am autistic with Adhd and this is very therapeutic for me. Pictures soon!
I have definitely been startled by sleeping chicks more than once😂 can’t wait for pics! Sitting with them is really good, they’ll grow much more tame

I think if you have a lethargic chick you’ll be able to tell. Best of luck with the cute little fluff balls!

Here is some of them! Not easy to get pictures of the little buggers.
8952B521-74AB-4F19-9424-D5A3211928DB.jpeg

I have two of these and one similarly colored but with yellow legs.
B06A5E88-4A1E-43D9-98AC-E0892A0AF552.jpeg

This little one has a redish tint to its beak and top of head.
B85B6C43-B04D-4EF1-8F33-CF36927FB61C.jpeg

The suspected Ayam! It is very small compared to the others.
783831AA-BFA6-4860-B880-639A7B26B111.jpeg

He's a bit messy but the suspected Houdan
40818BBB-9667-4214-9FBB-E69765185AB9.jpeg
8E3DE382-07FE-4E07-96FD-55520714409C.jpeg
Hard to tell but it has a bit of a poof and feathery toes
4031E54E-0557-45AD-B57D-91E96C68C087.jpeg

These are the only decent pictures I got so far, I hate grabbing them and making them upset unless its for a good reason. They took to the mash and were practically bathing in it when I checked on them last. Hence why the Houdan is messy!
Any breed ideas let me know!! The little greyish ones with slate legs like to hang out outside the usual groups, could it be a breed thing?

Here is some of them! Not easy to get pictures of the little buggers.
View attachment 3963707
I have two of these and one similarly colored but with yellow legs.
View attachment 3963708
This little one has a redish tint to its beak and top of head. View attachment 3963709
The suspected Ayam! It is very small compared to the others.
View attachment 3963713
He's a bit messy but the suspected HoudanView attachment 3963715View attachment 3963716 Hard to tell but it has a bit of a poof and feathery toesView attachment 3963718
These are the only decent pictures I got so far, I hate grabbing them and making them upset unless its for a good reason. They took to the mash and were practically bathing in it when I checked on them last. Hence why the Houdan is messy!
Any breed ideas let me know!! The little greyish ones with slate legs like to hang out outside the usual groups, could it be a breed thing?
They are so cute!

The first picture looks like a Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben. They are my favorite breed and I’ve hatched many Spitzhauben chicks and yours looks a lot like them! It also appears to have cavernous nostrils (which spitzhaubens have)
You're so right!! I have two of them and assumed they are some variant of Spitzhaubens thank you for confirming! After handling them more I can say they do have the cavernous nostrils! How exciting!

Would you be able to tell me more about the breed? Your experience with their temperament/behavior?
It seems to me they are slightly smaller than the rest and seem to keep to themselves a little more than the others. They seem like they rest a bit more than the rest as well.
Thank you!

You're so right!! I have two of them and assumed they are some variant of Spitzhaubens thank you for confirming! After handling them more I can say they do have the cavernous nostrils! How exciting!

Would you be able to tell me more about the breed? Your experience with their temperament/behavior?
It seems to me they are slightly smaller than the rest and seem to keep to themselves a little more than the others. They seem like they rest a bit more than the rest as well.
Thank you!
I would say the 2 best words that describe them are friendly and active.

My roosters have never really been human aggressive, some of my cockerels had biting issues (they would bite human hands or legs when we approached them) but they lost that with age. The 2 main roosters we have now are excellent protectors, attacking cats and other potential threats. They come running whenever they hear any hen distress calls and love human attention as well.

Hens lay medium sized white eggs every day, even during winter! They are relatively vocal but they are not my most noisy chickens. They also love human attention (will hop on my lap or fly on my shoulders).

Even broody raised Spitzhaubens seem to love us as well even if they weren’t handled! I don’t know why they love us so much 😂 . Our other breeds very much avoid us when they aren’t handled as chicks.

They are also relatively good at escaping predators, can fly well (ours have flown 10 feet+ when frightened). Our chickens sometimes get caught by coyotes however, but I think in those cases they were ambushed because of all the trees and shrubs we have. The coyotes can hide easily, then strike and run away. (We live in a forest area)

And yes they are small chickens, hens 2-3 pounds, roosters 4 pounds!

Last edited:
I would say the 2 best words that describe them are friendly and active.

My roosters have never really been human aggressive, some of my cockerels had biting issues (they would bite human hands or legs when we approached them) but they lost that with age. The 2 main roosters we have now are excellent protectors, attacking cats and other potential threats. They come running whenever they hear any hen distress calls and love human attention as well.

Hens lay medium sized white eggs every day, even during winter! They are relatively vocal but they are not my most noisy chickens. They also love human attention (will hop on my lap or fly on my shoulders).

Even broody raised Spitzhaubens seem to love us as well even if they weren’t handled! I don’t know why they love us so much 😂 . Our other breeds very much avoid us when they aren’t handled as chicks.

They are also relatively good at escaping predators, can fly well (ours have flown 10 feet+ when frightened). Our chickens sometimes get caught by coyotes however, but I think in those cases they were ambushed because of all the trees and shrubs we have. The coyotes can hide easily, then strike and run away. (We live in a forest area)

And yes they are small chickens, hens 2-3 pounds, roosters 4 pounds!
Amazing, thank you! They do seem to struggle less than the others when I handle them. I plan on all these guys to be completely free range and I live in a wooded area as well so that is good that they are feisty and have some survival instinct! They are very beautiful as well.

Back
Top Bottom