California - Northern

Quote: Now you know why I kept thinking she was broody, then
wink.png
She's been in the nest box since Tuesday or Wednesday, so I think she might stay this time--except she laid an egg yesterday, so
idunno.gif
(kind of not looking forward to telling my younger that we might not be getting Frieda eggs for a while, since those are the only eggs she'll eat hard-boiled, and she doesn't really like eggs anyway. Then again, if we end up with little fuzzy chicks, that may make up for it
wink.png
) That golf ball's nice and warm, though! Given that she's laid one (and oly one) egg since she started sitting, how long should I wait to be sure? @OR4-hmom , I'm going to be just outside Cave Junction for a retreat the 11th, 12th, and 13th--know anyone up there with eggs that'll hatch out to blue/dark brown/white layers, that aren't ridiculously expensive for testing a first-time broody with?

As far as the pecking, she's not pecking very hard--it feels more like she's eating out of my hand than attacking it. The first time I thought she was broody, she pecked a lot harder--those ones stung!

Quote:
I too have had a big year of cockerels... Wish my kids would stop naming them... perhaps then...we could eat them.
lol.png
Don't let the kids out there to name them!
Note to self--if things work out, chicks are not to be named unless/until they're known to be girls!

So it would seem I have a cockerel. I heard what sounded like a weird sounding cat screeching, and my step dad said he heard the same thing this morning. It came from the chicken coop area. It is one of the BLRW, how do I tell which one it is though? All 3boyish ones look the same

So it would seem I have a cockerel. I heard what sounded like a weird sounding cat screeching, and my step dad said he heard the same thing this morning. It came from the chicken coop area. It is one of the BLRW, how do I tell which one it is though? All 3boyish ones look the same
You will see him crow eventually. Luckily they do not sound like real loud crowing sounds for a while.

You might want to start re homing the three boys now though.

Last edited:

I don't need any more cockerels, but I do think I'd like to get a couple of BLRW pullets for my wild Mutt cross project.

People have added the Pen e's to the Marans for egg color and that is a very bad thing to do to a breed. People are having a very difficult time getting the sprigs out of the BCM now. It's the gift that keeps giving. The Marans will have that problem for a long time. It's just irresponsible propagators of chickens who neglect to mention they are selling mixed breed birds. .

Walt
Thats what I have heard. More people should just raise the Penedesenca

Sprigs from that cross are very persistent.

The Canadians did the same thing to the basque hens by breeding Crele Penedesencas to try to fix the color. Lots of sprigs in them too.
and thats why people should just raise Penedesenca instead haha

Back
Top Bottom