California - Northern

There's a couple trees that we've has since I was a child but, there's 5 palm trees my mom planted 15 years ago that (IMO) don't have enough ground room to grow.

How come Oaks are more likely to fall than Pines? Very interesting!

It was nice to see the sun for a little bit yesterday.

Welcome! I'm in the valley :frow glad you stayed safe!

I completely agree with the rain. I don't like rain but, we need rain. I remember there was more rain and thunder storms as a kid than now.
Oaks have a tendency to grow big heavy branches that can't always withstand the weight as they grow bigger and heavier, so the wind adds to the pressures on the branches and they finally give way from the added pressure. Also many oaks live in the habitats that are drier and the drought stress and pests can significantly weaken them and make their branches more brittle and easily broken in big wind storms. It's actually a great way to provide habitat for wildlife and improve soil quality as these branches degrade and provide shade to the soil beneath them--just not great for those of us that live around or under them! Sorry, I am a plant and soils ecologist...and a nerd about it :D

Oaks have a tendency to grow big heavy branches that can't always withstand the weight as they grow bigger and heavier, so the wind adds to the pressures on the branches and they finally give way from the added pressure. Also many oaks live in the habitats that are drier and the drought stress and pests can significantly weaken them and make their branches more brittle and easily broken in big wind storms. It's actually a great way to provide habitat for wildlife and improve soil quality as these branches degrade and provide shade to the soil beneath them--just not great for those of us that live around or under them! Sorry, I am a plant and soils ecologist...and a nerd about it :D
The two that fell earlier were oaks.

Hello, I have been away from BYC for awhile but was pretty regular for several years. I live in Lake County and have a mixed flock. Erminettes, Dorkings, Australorps, Barred Holland, and others. I would very much like to add Marraduna Basque Hens and Crested Creme Legbars to my flock and was hoping to find someone in Northern California who sells hatching eggs or chicks.

"Hi" :frow to anyone who remembers me and "Nice to meet you." to those of you who I have not met before.

Oh...I currently have 7 sizzled mix eggs in the incubtor for the NYE Hatch along. Fingers crossed for sizzled pullets. Anyone else participating?

Hello, I have been away from BYC for awhile but was pretty regular for several years. I live in Lake County and have a mixed flock. Erminettes, Dorkings, Australorps, Barred Holland, and others. I would very much like to add Marraduna Basque Hens and Crested Creme Legbars to my flock and was hoping to find someone in Northern California who sells hatching eggs or chicks.

"Hi" :frow to anyone who remembers me and "Nice to meet you." to those of you who I have not met before.

Oh...I currently have 7 sizzled mix eggs in the incubtor for the NYE Hatch along. Fingers crossed for sizzled pullets. Anyone else participating?
It is good to see you back!

Creme legbars shold be easier to find. I have not seen posts about Basque hens in quite some time.
Pensmaster has Pita pintas though

It is good to see you back!

Creme legbars shold be easier to find. I have not seen posts about Basque hens in quite some time.
Pensmaster has Pita pintas though
Thank you Ron! Pita Pintas...you are speaking my language. I miss my velcro hen Daphne. Erminettes and Pita Pintas together would be fun...like a postive/negative image of each other. 🙂

Thank you Ron! Pita Pintas...you are speaking my language. I miss my velcro hen Daphne. Erminettes and Pita Pintas together would be fun...like a postive/negative image of each other. 🙂
Hello! It’s nice to have you back with the BYC crew :) There is a woman in the Placerville area that also sells Pita Pintas! She’s got a website and I think she does hatching eggs. Bari Farms https://www.barifarms.com/. They look like gorgeous birds! There are also a lot of people breeding CCLs but not sure who, I see them on the California Poultry and the Sacramento Poultry Facebook pages all the time.

Hello! It’s nice to have you back with the BYC crew :) There is a woman in the Placerville area that also sells Pita Pintas! She’s got a website and I think she does hatching eggs. Bari Farms https://www.barifarms.com/. They look like gorgeous birds! There are also a lot of people breeding CCLs but not sure who, I see them on the California Poultry and the Sacramento Poultry Facebook pages all the time.
She's not far from me. Hmmmm.....

Back
Top Bottom