California - Northern

Any suggestions on getting girls thinking of going broody to actually sit. I keep taking the eggs away because we need eggs and I sell some to pay for feed. I have fertile eggs (Pitas and Mutts)

Just wondering if I put a girl in an isolated cage with a clutch of eggs might she eventually sit them?

Im considering doing this with a couple of my girls who seem to want to be broody but I keep stealing all the eggs.

Sorry to hear that the Silkies didn't make it, There are things that just can't be fixed sometimes, regardless of the effort you put in. Good to hear that the sticky is gone and the others are doing well!

Do any of you use a pour on Ivermectin? if so, what type?
The little crawlies are back and I will be treating many birds and cleaning many pens. I want to get the correct type, just can't remember if it's cattle, horse, sheep, etc.

I was at the feed store TRYING not to buy any birds, I was looking at the leghorns and I saw a bright red comb on a chick that couldn't have been more than 10 days old, I probably should have told them, but I didn't, I hope someone didn't buy it thinking it was a pullet!
Sometimes the will be crowing by then too--some are obvious very quickly.

Any suggestions on getting girls thinking of going broody to actually sit. I keep taking the eggs away because we need eggs and I sell some to pay for feed. I have fertile eggs (Pitas and Mutts)

Just wondering if I put a girl in an isolated cage with a clutch of eggs might she eventually sit them?

Im considering doing this with a couple of my girls who seem to want to be broody but I keep stealing all the eggs.

I was trying to get one of my wafflers to stick with the eggs too, so I asked an expert. :) He said to leave a bunch of eggs in the nest, and make the nesting area dark. He suggested covering the front of the nesting box. Good luck & sorry about your chick.

Meanwhile I'm putting my broodies in cages to break them. They just never seem to cooperate with what we want.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of flies? Those little red larvae in my run turned out to be some kind of fly maggots because the larvae disappeared & now there are big clouds of flies in my yard. I tried the sticky fly paper & it worked in the coop but not in the yard.

To be honest usually everyone tries to break them of broodiness not the other way. One way you can try is mark a couple eggs (so you know which they are) use golf balls or crock eggs and see if they'll stay on them, I check for a couple days. Collect eggs store point down cool and dry for up to ten days then sneak eggs in and balls/fake eggs out at night time. The other way is borrow a broody if you can keep it quarentined or have someone's broody set for you. We are in Mendocino Co and have a broody if you like us to hatch for you, I've got a little cochin in full swing.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of flies? Those little red larvae in my run turned out to be some kind of fly maggots because the larvae disappeared & now there are big clouds of flies in my yard. I tried the sticky fly paper & it worked in the coop but not in the yard.
They sound like tachinid flies.

Back
Top Bottom