California - Northern

Give the hen a safe place to raise them chicks and make sure there is plenty of feed out and that the available water is shallow so the chicks do not get in and drown , for the most part you do nothing the mamma will do all the work ..

Well, when you feel like your skills are such that you want to give a lesson... I'd pay money for that. I'd bet some others would too. 

You... go... set it up... (just kidding) but if ever you do PM me, I'll drive up. 

I've definitely considered teaching classes on it once I'm experienced enough... I consider teaching and improving the poultry community in any way I can to be one of my greatest joys in life, and Caponizing is definitely something that needs more practioners and advocates! At this point it is nearly a lost art, and without continued work and perseverance, it may well become one.

If I get as much practice as I'd like to this spring, I may try to set something up for next year or maybe even the end of this year.

I've definitely considered teaching classes on it once I'm experienced enough... I consider teaching and improving the poultry community in any way I can to be one of my greatest joys in life, and Caponizing is definitely something that needs more practioners and advocates! At this point it is nearly a lost art, and without continued work and perseverance, it may well become one.

If I get as much practice as I'd like to this spring, I may try to set something up for next year or maybe even the end of this year.

That is something I would like to learn, with all the chicks hatching this year. It would be nice to not worry about extras cockerels I sell being used for breeding.

That is something I would like to learn, with all the chicks hatching this year. It would be nice to not worry about extras cockerels I sell being used for breeding.

Nothing I read said what age to do this. And am curious as to why you wouldnt want extra cockerels to be bred? I can understand if there are serious defects but at young ages not sure you would know about all of them yet. Cant really see myself as doing this unless I didnt have the space to separate breeders from grow outs. Might do it to birds used for meat if it does help put on meat (not fat) weight on dual purpose and lighter birds.

Hi. First chick hatched this morning. They rest have done an external pip except one.
Here is a picture.
@honora. Your boys first baby. Lol

Nothing I read said what age to do this. And am curious as to why you wouldnt want extra cockerels to be bred? I can understand if there are serious defects but at young ages not sure you would know about all of them yet. Cant really see myself as doing this unless I didnt have the space to separate breeders from grow outs. Might do it to birds used for meat if it does help put on meat (not fat) weight on dual purpose and lighter birds.

The best age to caponize in my opinion is between 8-12 weeks, with 10 being the ideal age. Big enough that everything is easy to see and young enough that the ribs have not begun to harden yet. Some people say as young as 6 weeks is OK, and others will tell you up to 6 months is possible (though difficult - I wouldn't be able to do a bird that old, not with my tools anyways).

It's mostly used as a way to improve cockerels as meat birds, historically anyways. The general rule is a 9 pound cock will be a 12 pound capon, and I'm pretty certain it will translate to smaller birds. I caponized a 1/4 Ameraucana 1/4 hatchery Jersey Giant 1/2 Easter Egger cockerel my first time around; he was a slip, but even so he matured to something like 9-10 pounds. He was massive. I also have a hatchery Buff Cochin capon right now who is getting into the same size range. And they do develop a nice layer of fat; you can feel it on their abdomen when you hold them.

Shout out to the Caponizing thread - that's the most active Caponizing group on here at the moment, great little place to go if you have any questions about the process or are even just curious about the subject! The folks there have helped me a lot since I've started doing it myself.

The best age to caponize in my opinion is between 8-12 weeks, with 10 being the ideal age. Big enough that everything is easy to see and young enough that the ribs have not begun to harden yet. Some people say as young as 6 weeks is OK, and others will tell you up to 6 months is possible (though difficult - I wouldn't be able to do a bird that old, not with my tools anyways).

It's mostly used as a way to improve cockerels as meat birds, historically anyways. The general rule is a 9 pound cock will be a 12 pound capon, and I'm pretty certain it will translate to smaller birds. I caponized a 1/4 Ameraucana 1/4 hatchery Jersey Giant 1/2 Easter Egger cockerel my first time around; he was a slip, but even so he matured to something like 9-10 pounds. He was massive. I also have a hatchery Buff Cochin capon right now who is getting into the same size range. And they do develop a nice layer of fat; you can feel it on their abdomen when you hold them.

Shout out to the Caponizing thread - that's the most active Caponizing group on here at the moment, great little place to go if you have any questions about the process or are even just curious about the subject! The folks there have helped me a lot since I've started doing it myself.

I was thinking it was done later like 5-6 months

Back
Top Bottom