California - Northern

Here are some pics of my Legbar crosses.

This is the buff orp legbar cross this one is my favorite she was all brown as a chick but she ,pretty sure girl) is so pretty.

guess what (the one on the left is the Jersey Giant with Legbar)

The one in front is a EE legbar cross (the pita is just a hatchmate)

I used a roll of the plastic that goes under laminate flooring. It holds up a lot better than plastic sheeting.
There is a product they use under showers when they build a shower. Called shower liner, very thick vinyl. Not cheap but works well for my whelping box.
Great ideas! I've been using the thickest gauge of wide clear plastic on rolls from JoAnn's Fabrics. So thick that adult chickens can't tear through the plastic when I use it under my indoor 4'x4' hospital hen-kennel. We buy the whole roll because the cardboard roll inside keeps the plastic in good shape and easy to store standing up. We use the 50% off JoAnn's coupons and get the huge wide rolls - the plastic rolls are useful for other things around the house too, like sturdy protective covers for dining tabletops, school book covers, game board protective sheeting, carpet runner on rainy days, roosting perch poop catcher, etc etc. I keep a whole roll on hand and cut off pieces as I need it. I've used pieces around the outside of parakeet and canary cages to keep seed from flying all over. So many uses for the clear thick sheeting and fairly cost-effective when using the JoAnn's coupons.

Last edited:
I used a roll of the plastic that goes under laminate flooring. It holds up a lot better than plastic sheeting.

Thanks! I ended up getting a big sheet of laminated cardboard (the kind used for insulatiin) and plopping it on the bottom. It fits well enough and is heavy enough I don't need to tape it, which is great - the chicks were forever ripping off the tape...

[COLOR=0000CD]Great ideas!  I've been using the thickest gauge of wide clear plastic on rolls from JoAnn's Fabrics.  So thick that adult chickens can't tear through the plastic when I use it under my indoor 4'x4' hospital hen-kennel.  We buy the whole roll because the cardboard roll inside keeps the plastic in good shape and easy to store standing up.  We use the 50% off JoAnn's coupons and get the huge wide rolls - the plastic rolls are useful for other things around the house too, like sturdy protective covers for dining tabletops, school book covers, game board protective sheeting, carpet runner on rainy days, roosting perch poop catcher, etc etc.  I keep a whole roll on hand and cut off pieces as I need it.  I've used pieces around the outside of parakeet and canary cages to keep seed from flying all over.  So many uses for the clear thick sheeting and fairly cost-effective when using the JoAnn's coupons.[/COLOR]

How much does a toll run you?

Hi all!
Hope everyone has been well. Haven't been on here in a while. Doing good with the heat but those darn misters are clogging in 1 day. We got a water softener now and it seems worse this year.
But all in all, everyone is happy.
Our marans hens raised some Cornish crosses and itS been great! They got excercise, grass and bugs. Now they're finishing off in a pen to fatten up.
Processed 1 last week. There was much more meat on him than I thought.
How are your flocks doing?

Hi all!
Hope everyone has been well. Haven't been on here in a while. Doing good with the heat but those darn misters are clogging in 1 day. We got a water softener now and it seems worse this year.
But all in all, everyone is happy.
Our marans hens raised some Cornish crosses and itS been great! They got excercise, grass and bugs. Now they're finishing off in a pen to fatten up.
Processed 1 last week. There was much more meat on him than I thought.
How are your flocks doing?

Our water is super hard here in Newman also. Misters clog really fast. I keep extra mister tips and change them out every few days by necessity. The ones I take out I put in a small cup with lime away and a little water. By doing this the misters never clog completely and the birds stay cooler. I have fans blowing behind the misters. Kern

Our water is super hard here in Newman also.  Misters clog really fast.  I keep extra mister tips and change them out every few days by necessity.  The ones I take out I put in a small cup with lime away and a little water.  By doing this the misters never clog completely and the birds stay cooler.  I have fans blowing behind the misters.   Kern
Do you ever clean your nozzles? I heard vinegar but haven't tried it yet.
Thanks for the info :)

Do you ever clean your nozzles? I heard vinegar but haven't tried it yet.
Thanks for the info
smile.png

The Lime Away keeps the nozzles clean. It is the nozzles only that I unscrew and replace every few days. Kern

Back
Top Bottom