RafterB_ranch

In the Brooder
May 27, 2021
I have 9 call duck eggs in lockdown, hatching day starts tomorrow afternoon (day 26). Wondering what other people’s experiences are with the day that call duck eggs internally pip.
1. Is it right on hatching day or day(s) before?

im also feeling concerned because the air cells vary from the right to left of my (cheap) incubator, with the eggs on the far left having air cell at least 1/4 of the egg size, and you can see it forming to the duckling when I candle from outside the lid (air cell looks like it’s lumpy around the edges of the duckling). And then the right side of the incubator gets the most condensation and the air cells are probably 1/8 of the egg. I’m not going to mess with humidity now but know for next time to rotate the eggs into different areas of the incubator to get a more even air cell distribution next time.

2. has anyone had issues that they resolved through intervention with very large or very small air cells?
3. Is the fact that I can see the ducks outline on the large air cell mean it could be shrink wrapped? (Or increase the chances of shrink wrapping?)

thanks everyone! Hoping to be a first time duck mom by the end of the week and the anxiety is high that we get some to hatch successfully. I have researched assisted hatch for call ducks so feeling fairly confident that I know what to do once I see an internal pip.
4. If I never see an internal pip, How long do I let these call ducks incubate before opening the air cell to check on the membrane?

I have 9 call duck eggs in lockdown, hatching day starts tomorrow afternoon (day 26). Wondering what other people’s experiences are with the day that call duck eggs internally pip.
1. Is it right on hatching day or day(s) before?

im also feeling concerned because the air cells vary from the right to left of my (cheap) incubator, with the eggs on the far left having air cell at least 1/4 of the egg size, and you can see it forming to the duckling when I candle from outside the lid (air cell looks like it’s lumpy around the edges of the duckling). And then the right side of the incubator gets the most condensation and the air cells are probably 1/8 of the egg. I’m not going to mess with humidity now but know for next time to rotate the eggs into different areas of the incubator to get a more even air cell distribution next time.

2. has anyone had issues that they resolved through intervention with very large or very small air cells?
3. Is the fact that I can see the ducks outline on the large air cell mean it could be shrink wrapped? (Or increase the chances of shrink wrapping?)

thanks everyone! Hoping to be a first time duck mom by the end of the week and the anxiety is high that we get some to hatch successfully. I have researched assisted hatch for call ducks so feeling fairly confident that I know what to do once I see an internal pip.
4. If I never see an internal pip, How long do I let these call ducks incubate before opening the air cell to check on the membrane?
In my experience it does very little good to open the air cell if they cannot internally pip on their own. I have had some with extremely large air cells that basically hatched on their own and some that did not seem to be able to reach the shell to externally pip.
It's just a kind of darned if you do and darned if you don't situation.
Mine typically just begin the hatching process on day 26, they seem to take forever. With mine I like to do a safety hole as soon as I see an internal pip. But plenty people have calls that hatch with zero assistance. So no need to rush things.
I'm not sure what you mean about seeing the outline of the duck in the air cell, it gets very hard to see anything besides shadowing and a little movement at that stage.
Good luck! Be sure to Come back with updates and pictures.

I'm not sure what you mean about seeing the outline of the duck in the air cell, it gets very hard to see anything besides shadowing and a little movement at that stage.
Thank you for the response. Relieving to know that they might not start anything until day 26 (tomorrow afternoon).
The air cell is so large that it is no longer a smooth line around the egg, it’s lumpy over the shape of the duckling which you can see when you candle. I’ll try to get a photo tonight when I do a quick candle to check for internal pipping.

Thank you for the response. Relieving to know that they might not start anything until day 26 (tomorrow afternoon).
The air cell is so large that it is no longer a smooth line around the egg, it’s lumpy over the shape of the duckling which you can see when you candle. I’ll try to get a photo tonight when I do a quick candle to check for internal pipping.
If it looks the way I'm picturing it I think it sounds pretty normal. Here's a couple videos of mine for comparison.

If it looks the way I'm picturing it I think it sounds pretty normal. Here's a couple videos of mine
Yes ok, your cells are definitely the same size as my biggest air cells and maybe even bigger. It’s probably the small cells I need to be more worried about (drowning). Cheap incubators perform how they cost haha.
I will keep the thread updated as the hatch progresses! Surreal to imagine I could have my first ducks in the next few days.

1B4700F6-295C-4063-94A6-6C53D534EA11.jpeg

All of a sudden it’s dark above the air hole, you can see my line. Is this an internal pip?

Back
Top Bottom