Can a chicken be possessive of a human?

Tnkcfan

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 28, 2012
I have a very young, very spoiled (black) silkie that I have just turned out with the rest of the flock. He is usually pecked at (to be expected), but last night I witnessed him pecking at my other (gray) female silkie who was beside me. This (black) chicken LOVES me, has to constantly be on my shoulder & loves to burrow himself in my hair. And I keep calling it a “he”, but really have no idea what it is. Watch the short video. Why is he pecking her? Is he being possessive of me?

Chickens can certainly be possessive of humans. If they take a liking toward one human then they will protect that human, as that person is considered a member of their flock. Ruby, my Rhode Island Red Bantam hen, does not like my dogs or my cat getting close to me because she thinks they will hurt me, and neither does she like any other chicken getting close to me. Odie, Ruby's son, is even more possessive of me because he thinks I am his hen, and he protects me from anything. He will attack the cockerels that get too close to me.

Your Silkie appears to be female, although I am unsure because I am not good at sexing Silkies. But nothing on that Silkie screams male to me, especially with that comb that is quite small and not reddened much.

Chickens can certainly be possessive of humans. If they take a liking toward one human then they will protect that human, as that person is considered a member of their flock. Ruby, my Rhode Island Red Bantam hen, does not like my dogs or my cat getting close to me because she thinks they will hurt me, and neither does she like any other chicken getting close to me. Odie, Ruby's son, is even more possessive of me because he thinks I am his hen, and he protects me from anything. He will attack the cockerels that get too close to me.

Your Silkie appears to be female, although I am unsure because I am not good at sexing Silkies. But nothing on that Silkie screams male to me, especially with that comb that is quite small and not reddened much.
Thank you. Yes, the black one has definitely taken a liking to me 😂. I’ve never seen anything like it. And yes, it’s comb is basically non-existent, so very well good be a female.

Also, that Silkie hen that you called "gray" is either blue or lavender. I cannot tell which one because blue looks very similar to lavender in Silkies.
Yes, I know she’s either blue or lavender. Her little ear holes are blue. Would that be a sign as to blue or lavender?

Yes, I know she’s either blue or lavender. Her little ear holes are blue. Would that be a sign as to blue or lavender?
nevermind, I just went to google & it says all silkies have blue ears. Learned something new!

My little flock swarms me when I am with them. I think they believe thay all "own" me and squabble to get into my lap or arms. When one seems to be keeping others away I usually hold that one plus another so they learn they have to share me.

What you are describing are the earlobes, not the ear holes. Earlobe color does not tell what the feather color of the chicken is. All Silkies have blue earlobes, as you found out from your search.

Back
Top Bottom