Can I add only one juvenile duck to older flock?

Jenjens

Songster
5 Years
Jun 5, 2019
IL
I know what you all will say, but I am hoping someone has experience with this. Ducks were NOT planned, but I have 2 drakes and 2 hens (again - this WAS NOT planned...it's a long story) The hens are getting over-mated, and since I also have chickens, and they are separated in a not-huge backyard, I was thinking about getting just one more hen to give the girls a break. I know, not enough, but no one will take the drakes, and I have limited space.

The problem is, I have been searching for an adult hen for a few months and I can't find one. The best I have found is one that hatched in May...a muscovy.

Would it be okay to only bring one home? Do you think she will feel uncomfortable with the older ducks because she is the only young one? I could VERY POSSIBLY get 2, but that would be pushing it space-wise, but I know I have to give the girls some kind of break. I know that the drakes won't mate with her until she starts laying...I think...?

I have been putting this off for a while because of the space issue, but the girls have wounds on their heads from the drakes. YES, I KNOW I don't have enough hens, but this is the best I can do for now since no one will take the drakes and I will not kill them.

Thank you

It is very likely that the drakes will aggressively try to breed her. I would put the duck hens in with the chickens and separate the drakes from them.

It is very likely that the drakes will aggressively try to breed her. I would put the duck hens in with the chickens and separate the drakes from them.
Thank you. So should I keep her with the chickens until she starts laying? I am afraid she might be bullied by the chickens and may be lonely.

You may have to put up fencing to separate the ducks from the chickens until the female ducks and the chickens have had time to meet and greet. That is the best way to introduce any new birds into an established flock.

Back
Top Bottom