Can I House Button, Cortunix, & Bobwhites Together?

kristianhope18

Chirping
5 Years
May 24, 2014
Pikeville, Kentucky
I recently hatched 4 Cortunix 2 buttons and 1 bobwhite! So total I only have 7 quail chicks and figured it would kinda be a waste to house 1 bobwhite by himself and 2 small buttons so I was curious if it would be ok to house them all together? Will they mix breed? Also can you all please post your quail cages for me so I can get an idea of my forever cage I wanna build? I am almost finished with my massive chicken coop and bought a large plastic tote to cut out rectangles on each side and put wire over them and then I was gonna cut small holes in the lid and then replace the bottom with wire until I figure out exactly what I wanna build!! Thanks guys!!!

The buttons and coturnix will be ok until the buttons reach maturity. After that they can be left together but will need enough space to get away from each other. The bobwhite I wouldn't try to keep with the others. They are on of the most aggressive breeds of game bird and are even known to bully full grown pheasants.

Really?? I have a friend who raises and sells all 3 breeds and he gave me a couple eggs a white back like 3 buttons 3 bobwhite and 5 Cortunix turns out the bobwhites were not fertile the buttons didn't hatch and I had 2 Cortunix hatch and one drown and I put the other in with some chicks in a chick room I have because I had no experience w quail and didn't want it to be alone and it flew out the window 0.0 So he gave me 15 more buttons 3 bobwhites and 15 Cortunix and I had 4 buttons I hada hatch like crack open all of them and out of 4 fertile 2 lived and then 5 Cortunix (1 died so I have 4) and then all 3 bobwhites were fertile one was deformed and out of the other two one lived so I have like I said 7 total and don't know what to do with just one single bobwhite! Bobwhites are my favorite I love the chicks they are so cute and the buttons are cute too! Which is the best sellers out of the breeds I mentioned? I may just give him back the other two and keep one breed and raise and sell them? Also what's the prices on each breed? Eggs, chicks, and adults? I'm a newbie with all quail? Any tips for me? What's a good small easy quail cage to build right now temporary I was gonna use a clear long storage bin I bought and cut tiny holes in the lid and then a rectangle on each side covered in small wire and then cut the bottom out and cover with wire and put it out back behing my massive coop possibly hang it from the tree? How long do they need a light?

Last edited:
I house bobwhite chukar and courtinix together with no issues until I had to many birds not enough space. So I put the chukar in 1 pen and the bobwhite and courtinix in the other. Granted these birds have been together since they were eggs so that might be the reason why I had no issues

I've heard the courtinix and bobwhite can inter breed also and the pics I've seen they look cool

The only time I've seen or heard of bobwhite being aggressive is with chicks in distress. If you do a chick in distress call around wild bobwhite they will come to protect that chick and attack anything that looks like a threat. There's video on YouTube of them attacking a truck that played the call over a loudspeaker

Back
Top Bottom