Can I use nylon poultry net for the brooder pen roof, or is it dangerous?

SplendidDogFeet

Chirping
Jun 17, 2024
North Texas
The chicks are getting bigger and I don't want anyone flying out of the pen. The coop and run aren't finished, so I can't move them out yet. Can I use that lightweight poultry netting to make a top, or is it hazardous? I didn't know if you use something with that much give if there's a possibility of them catching themselves on it when they fly around. I liked the idea of give for when I sit in there with them and it doesn't cut any of the light they're getting since the holes are pretty big and the cording is thin.

Like bird netting? I have used that in a pinch (with adults).
I have had them get legs stuck in it, two or three times, when they fly up and hit it, then scrabble with their feet. They found a way to perch until we came to rescue them, they weren't injured.
I wouldn't call it safe, but I'd still use it myself in a pinch, but in the "with supervision" category. Not my first choice for chicks, but the risk from netting may be less than that from escape, if it's all you can get.

I have had them get legs stuck in it, two or three times, when they fly up and hit it, then scrabble with their feet. They found a way to perch until we came to rescue them, they weren't injured.
I wouldn't call it safe, but I'd still use it myself in a pinch, but in the "with supervision" category. Not my first choice for chicks, but the risk from netting may be less than that from escape, if it's all you can get.
Thank you for your advice- that was my fear. I will get something with less give.

Do you think that this mesh fabric with tiny holes (it's like what laundry bags are made of) might be less of a risk? They certainly couldn't get a head or leg through, but I don't know if that's the only concern.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240624_225552_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240624_225552_Chrome.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 1
Do you think that this mesh fabric with tiny holes (it's like what laundry bags are made of) might be less of a risk? They certainly couldn't get a head or leg through, but I don't know if that's the only concern.

Hmm, that's a good question.
You're right that they couldn't get their legs stuck! I can't think of anything that might be dangerous about it.
The only ones who can really answer that though are the chicks, sometimes baby-proofing is a matter of trial and error, LOL.
So it's the same fabric in a big bolt or something? By the yard? If it works for you I may be interested later :)

Hmm, that's a good question.
You're right that they couldn't get their legs stuck! I can't think of anything that might be dangerous about it.
The only ones who can really answer that though are the chicks, sometimes baby-proofing is a matter of trial and error, LOL.
So it's the same fabric in a big bolt or something? By the yard? If it works for you I may be interested later :)
It's just white mesh laundry bag fabric by the yard. It's way cheaper to buy four yards of that than any of the mesh style fencing or screen that I'm finding and I'm hoping the white will let more light in. I may try it and if there's any sign of an issue at any point, I'll abandon it and figure something else out.

Netting should be fine but it should also be stretched taut on some sort of frame (quick and cheap frame - cut up some cardboard and duct tape the netting in place) with any loose bits tidied up so no one gets snagged in it. It's the loose folds of netting that trap birds and cause trouble.

I agree, but just fyi the incidents I had were actually with fairly taut bird netting. When they bounced off the netting (at an angle I guess) they grabbed at it with their feet. So we'd find them with their feet stuck through, not truly tangled, but a twist to the hole holding their foot. It wasn't hard to get them out but they weren't able to free themselves.
But you're totally right that loose bits and folds are the worst!

Back
Top Bottom