Can scratch grains be used to grow fodder?

Give the folks in GA a call. I believe they do a truck run into your area or at least close. If not, they can probably suggest a source. They don't come near me so I have to go to them. I'm having the same problem... I need wheat for my turkeys and can't find it close. Another thought... My coop keeps winter wheat seed (its treated and can't be used to feed my birds as is--but would be fine for fodder I would think) to support the tobacco growers. Apparently they use it for green manure.

I am in NC, they appear to be in GA and no retailers even remotely close to where I am located.

Yes I do, I own 5 acres. I definitely will look into doing this for next year.

The closest TSC is 3 hours away 1 way but I have a family member who can purchase it and bring to me when she comes to visit me next week. Would this be it? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/plotspike-forage-oats-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005

I had no idea about the beans either, learning so much from everyone. I have several of the dry beans you mentioned in my pantry. Do I do them the same as I would the barley/wheat seeds would be done? All the help is much appreciated!
Yup that's it.
I personally would start all seeds separate. I know some people with sprouting systems, using them for sprouts though not taking them to the fodder stage, experiencing mold issues with seed mixtures cause certain seeds taking much longer to sprout.
Alfalfa is a good one for fodder also.

Give the folks in GA a call. I believe they do a truck run into your area or at least close. If not, they can probably suggest a source. They don't come near me so I have to go to them. I'm having the same problem... I need wheat for my turkeys and can't find it close. Another thought... My coop keeps winter wheat seed (its treated and can't be used to feed my birds as is--but would be fine for fodder I would think) to support the tobacco growers. Apparently they use it for green manure.

Do NOT use treated seed to make sprouts or fodder to feed out to any animals. It is treated most likely with a fungicide. Not meant to be ingested by any animal or human.

Yup that's it.
I personally would start all seeds separate. I know some people with sprouting systems, using them for sprouts though not taking them to the fodder stage, experiencing mold issues with seed mixtures cause certain seeds taking much longer to sprout.
Alfalfa is a good one for fodder also.

I will work on getting some fodder growing with the plotter feed a family member will be bringing me from TSC next week and growing sprouts from some beans that I have. Hopefully next year I will have enough of my own that I will not have this issue any longer. Thanks for all the help and info from everyone, much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom