Can silkies have white skin?UPDATE. HAVE A PICTURE.

adorable

Songster
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
near ottawa ontario
I am not to sure where to post this. So move if you have to.
I hatched out some silkies about a week ago. I have notice that 2 of them dont have the black skin. But they look like silkies and have the feathers on there feet and have five toes. Is it possible they can have some mix down the line somewhere. Or is this normal to pop up once in a while.?But i have to say they looked like chickmunks when they were hatch. Having the dark strip down there backs. WHich isnt those ones come from EE. I need some insight on this.

Last edited:
Can't answer your question, but someone should be along soon. If you have pictures you can post, that would help with identification issues. You might also change the subject line to include something more descriptive. Something like, can silkies have white skin??

Last edited:
Many varieties hatch with stripes on their backs. Contrary to what seewms to be common beliefs, there is no characteristic or trait carried exclusively by EEs. With silkies, grey and partridge hatch with chipmunk stripes; some other varieties also occasionally hatch with some amount of back striping.

There are five breeds that have 5 toes: dorkings, faverolles, houdans, silkies and sultans. Houdans and dorkings do not have feathered legs. Dorkings and faverolles do not have crests. Silkies are the most common of these breeds, so it is likely that you have pet quality silkies; but there is a slight posibility that you have one of these other breeds instead.

Where did you get your eggs?

I have a lavender silkie with white skin. 5 toes, feathered legs, crest, the whole 9 yards, but white skin. It happens. She is the sweetest thing ever, and a great little broody, though she isn't even a year old yet!
love.gif

Thanks sonoran silkies for the clear up on the chipmunk. I was glad to read that. On the white skin ..I guess i have to wait to see how it turns out later on. NOt for breeding for sure. I read somewhere that those ones are all pullets. but i am still learning on all of this.

Um...I don't have a good close one of just her, but she is in the foreground of this one...you can at least see that her face/wattles are pink/red.

15879_rain4.jpg

Last edited:
Not a close body shot, no. I didn't breed her myself. I bought her from someone just because she was SO sweet...and she was their only one with white skin. she is really little, too. Here's a far away pic of my son using her for 4H showmanship. She has been a real confidence builder for him!

15879_garettfair.jpg

Back
Top Bottom