Can Someone Please Explain This Diaper Thing?

I make my own chicken diapers and after looking at pictures and reading about all the others, I am satisfied that the ones I make are superior in comfort and practicality. I have not started making them commercially but do intend to do so.

I kept about 5 chickens in diapers all winter in the house and very seldom did I have any problem with a gooy bottom. My diapers have lots of room for the poop to go and if you put talcum powder in the diaper first you can usually just hold it over the toliet and the droppings flush right down. When keeping a chicken in my diapers 24/7 I usually changed the diaper twice a day, although sometimes only once a day. A few hens had eggs in their diapers and carried them around all day without breaking.

I am putting up a few pictures and if anyone is interested just pm me.

BTW I did try about 10 or more designs before I got the ones that work best.

44307_arieldiaper_15.jpg

44307_dollsbluediaper_4.jpg

44307_polkadotdiaper_15.jpg

44307_famindiapers_1.jpg

There are several photos here with chickens wearing Ruth's diapers. (as well as several who are not.

I have found it helpful to ensure that the bird gets plenty of grain (wheat, oatmeal, rice) in their diet if you plan to keep it inside. This helps keep poop more solid. Also, a bit of absorbant paper towel, sanitary napkin or actual human diaper at the bottom of the pouch helps absorb moisture.

I added velcro to a couple of my diapers and that removes the need for one of the safety pins. I will try to explain putting the diaper on, although it is easier to do than describe.

1) Place the chicken in your lap facing you.

2) with the U-shaped opening on top and the chest strap on bottom, open up the pouch and cover the vent and areas below and to the sides.

3) Bring the tailstraps over the top of the tail.

4) Bring the backstrap between the legs and twist it once or twice.

5) keeping the twisted part below the head, bring the backstrap over the head and down the back.

6) slide it under the tailstraps and double it over them.

7) pin the backstraps and tailstraps together.

Instead of twisting the elastic, you can pin it together. In wither case, this prevents the elastic from pulling back against the wings and coming off.

Mine don't actually have straps. One the picture of the silkie family (momma, baby, daddy) the pic of the momma shows a long piece of elastic. It never bothered her but it was a lot longer than it needed to be.

Back
Top Bottom