Can someone please help me identify my chicken?

ChickDiversity

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2023
Hi everyone,
I have been following BYC for a while and we have finally got our own chicken! We bought "rare breed" collection from tractor supply online in February. It came in a batch of 10 and thankfully all survived. They are now 10 weeks old.
My first question is regarding this particular chicken whose breed I can't identify. It is one of the largest birds of my flock with very thick feet.
What do you guys think? Also is it a rooster or a pullet?
This is my first post here and very excited to join this group. Thanks in advance!
UnidentifiedLarge(Rooster3?).jpeg
UnidentifiedLarge(Rooster3?)plumage.jpeg

Last edited:
:welcome It is a pullet - very likely one of the new 'designer' breeds.
Thanks, @sourland ! I am not very familiar with 'designer' breeds. Could you explain what you mean by that?
These were the potential options mentioned on the site:
"Barnevelder, Blue Andalusian, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Buff Brahma, Cochin, Columbian Wyandotte, Cuckoo Marans, Dark Brahma, Dominique, French Black Copper Marans, French Cuckoo Marans, French Wheaten Marans, Lavender Orpington, Light Brahma, Midnight Majesty Marans, Olive Egger, Prairie Bluebell Egger, Salmon Faverolle, Sapphire Olive Egger, Silver Lakenvelder, Speckled Sussex, Starlight Green Egger, and Welsummer"
I am imagining something like olive egger is termed as 'designer' breed? Is that what you meant? The thing that threw me off about this particular one is larger that all my flock including the roosters.

Midnight Majesty Marans, Olive Egger, Prairie Bluebell Egger, Salmon Faverolle, Sapphire Olive Egger, Silver Lakenvelder, Speckled Sussex, Starlight Green Egger, and Welsummer"
I am imagining something like olive egger is termed as 'designer' breed? Is that what you meant? The thing that threw me off about this particular one is larger that all my flock including the roosters.
Could be an olive egger or starlight green egger. From your list above, there's really no other options I see. Unless she has feathered feet which didn't show up on the pictures?

My money is on Starlight green egger, as some of them look similar to this hen. The proof will be in the eggs. :)

BTW, SGEs are "designer" easter eggers, they are bred to lay mostly green eggs (you have 15% chance of tan or white or something). Prairie Bluebells are the designer easter egger that lays blue.

Could be an olive egger or starlight green egger. From your list above, there's really no other options I see. Unless she has feathered feet which didn't show up on the pictures?

My money is on Starlight green egger, as some of them look similar to this hen. The proof will be in the eggs. :)

BTW, SGEs are "designer" easter eggers, they are bred to lay mostly green eggs (you have 15% chance of tan or white or something). Prairie Bluebells are the designer easter egger that lays blue.
Thanks @FunClucks for the info about 'designer' chicken. I guess I was confused since based on hoover's hatchery description starlight green eggers are 'lightweight and active' neither of which fits her. She has always been the largest one in the flock. She never likes to fly much unlike the other ones as well.
Btw her legs are clean. No feather.
For reference of her size, I got a light brahma rooster in the flock of the same age as well. And she is larger than him too.
Hopefully the eggs will clear out the confusion like you said ha ha!

Thanks @FunClucks for the info about 'designer' chicken. I guess I was confused since based on hoover's hatchery description starlight green eggers are 'lightweight and active' neither of which fits her. She has always been the largest one in the flock. She never likes to fly much unlike the other ones as well.
Btw her legs are clean. No feather.
For reference of her size, I got a light brahma rooster in the flock of the same age as well. And she is larger than him too.
Hopefully the eggs will clear out the confusion like you said ha ha!
Well, you're right, that size is not what is common for SGE. Must be something else. All the SGE I've known (granted, it's a total of four) grew up into hens no more than 3-4 lbs. The color and comb and leg color and general look of her was about right for SGE but the size is off.

Could be something not listed in your description.

I had a white chick once with a faint black line on his head, chipmunk colored down, feathered out like a speckled sussex as a chick, but then turned totally melanistic red and ended up being a Production Red cockerel. Wasn't on any website for the hatcheries that were supposed to be supplying the feed store I bought him from, and the feed store never sold Production Reds. I still have no idea how he got in the bin. I think it was a mis-identified egg or the chick jumped a bin at the hatchery. Or maybe a handling mistake somehow.

Good luck figuring it out! For what it's worth, she does look female.

Well, you're right, that size is not what is common for SGE. Must be something else. All the SGE I've known (granted, it's a total of four) grew up into hens no more than 3-4 lbs. The color and comb and leg color and general look of her was about right for SGE but the size is off.

Could be something not listed in your description.

I had a white chick once with a faint black line on his head, chipmunk colored down, feathered out like a speckled sussex as a chick, but then turned totally melanistic red and ended up being a Production Red cockerel. Wasn't on any website for the hatcheries that were supposed to be supplying the feed store I bought him from, and the feed store never sold Production Reds. I still have no idea how he got in the bin. I think it was a mis-identified egg or the chick jumped a bin at the hatchery. Or maybe a handling mistake somehow.

Good luck figuring it out! For what it's worth, she does look female.
Thanks @FunClucks ! This is the first time I got chicken with all supposedly pullets. And lo behold, 2 turned out to be roosters and one some mystery chicken. Lol.

Oh wow! I didn't even think about that.
I just checked Hoover's Hatchery and they have similar breed called "Rudd Ranger", which looks pretty similar.
Ugh I really hope it is not a meat bird.
Good news though - if it is a meat bird and not a CX, odds are that it will have a healthy, relatively long life. You don't have to eat it, but it probably won't lay very many eggs. I think meat birds generally lay around 150-200 eggs per year or less if you let them lay. CX tend to die within the first year and a half, regardless of how well you care for them, but the slower growing broilers like this Rudd Ranger could probably live a longer, healthier life.

You can always try to rehome it on Craigslist. Someone will be looking for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom