Can two roosters live in the coop together?

LocalBirdEnjoyer

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2024
So, I have twelve hens, one rooster, and one 2 and a half month old cockerel. I’m wondering what I should do when he matures more? My coop is relatively small, but it’s big enough to house all my chickens comfortably.
Do I have enough hens for 2 roos? Should I keep both, or get rid of one? (my current rooster is my cockerel’s father… not sure if that changes anything though.)
Any ideas?

(Here’s some pictures of my cockerel, lmk if I should add more)
IMG_2016.jpeg
IMG_2056.jpeg
IMG_2007.jpeg

What does that mean in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

I would not keep 2 males, just asking for trouble.
Number of females often doesn't matter.
It's about 4ft wide and 8ft tall on all sides :)

image0 (1).jpeg
image3.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Last edited:
I keep multiple roosters, my coop that is 16' by 8' has 3 mature roos and currently 6 cockerels. They free range daily. My other coop (silkies) has 5 roos. They sleep in 8' by 8', but are released to free range including barn space during daytime hours. I would not recommend keeping multiple roosters in a coop that is 4' by 4'.

No that coop is already on the small side for that many chickens. When it comes to keeping multiple roosters together the amount of space you have is just as important as how many hens. Putting two roosters in an already too small coop is asking for trouble.
Yeah, I wouldn’t want two roosters in the first place… I was just wondering if I *could*. Do you think my coop is too small for the amount of chickens that I have already? Should I make it bigger? Most of my chickens don’t free range, but some do.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sorry! My chickens do have a pen, and it’s really big. I believe the coop is 4’ long, that’s what I meant when I said that. I can take better pictures too :)

Back
Top Bottom