Can you blowtorch weeds?

QuailMan6666

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
Has anybody tried using a blowtorch on weeds? Was it safe? And what if the weeds are growing on the mulch and bark? Is there a chance of a wildfire? I live in the suburbs far away from the forests. Would spraying water after burning the weeds help prevent a fire?

Has anybody tried using a blowtorch on weeds? Was it safe? And what if the weeds are growing on the mulch and bark? Is there a chance of a wildfire? I live in the suburbs far away from the forests. Would spraying water after burning the weeds help prevent a fire?
You probably can't get a burn permit in the suburbs. Check you local zoning regs and ordinances.

the theory behind the blow torch is not to actually burn the weed, but to heat it enough to kill it.
It should be very effective but if they burn you are doing it wrong.
You might need a couple of passes to get the feeling for it. (It's been advocated as a pesticide free way to kill weeds for 30 years in Europe.)

I really wouldn't chance fire + mulch. My beds got neglected this year, so I'm going to rake out in the spring and replace with a new thick layer of mulch. If you need the weeds gone now, either manually remove or pick up some Bonide Burnout (which is a safer Roundup alternative).

Where is the mulch/bark....in a garden bed or...???
Using a weed torch there is always a chance that things nearby can also catch of fire.
Caught my lawn on fire while torching a fence line once.

Back
Top Bottom