Can you help me identify what these bantams are please?

kgast11

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2024
I recently purchased some bantam chickens at a swap meet in Fordland MO & I was wondering if someone could help me positively identify them and help me find some more of them. They have a rosecomb, but it’s natural. The little hen I hatched this past spring hatched with a rosecomb, & both parents have a rosecomb. I think they’re Dutch bantams, but I’m not sure because of the combs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, & pictures are below. Hens are blue splash, and rooster is silver. Shape and carriage isn’t quite right for a rosecomb I don’t think. I’ve had those. Also don’t think they’re old English game, they have white earlobes and slate legs. They’re clean-legged, & they don’t have short stubby legs like a Japanese Bantam either (I also own those). I got them because they were different & I really liked them. Any ideas???

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpeg
    IMG_0328.jpeg
    518.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0326.jpeg
    IMG_0326.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0324.jpeg
    IMG_0324.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0325.jpeg
    IMG_0325.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0321.jpeg
    IMG_0321.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    449.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0323.jpeg
    IMG_0323.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 10
I replied in the other thread, but my guess is Rosecomb Bantams. They are nice looking birds! I hope you can find some more with as good of temperament!
Oh, yeah. I just saw it. Sorry. I was following up on a suggestion from another member to post it here as well. I wasn’t sure on the rosecomb thing because they seem a little deep-bodied and not quite as statuesque as my black rosecombs. I didn’t think they came in any other colors. I thought it was just black or white.

They have a rosecomb, but it’s natural. The little hen I hatched this past spring hatched with a rosecomb, & both parents have a rosecomb.
This part has me puzzled. Isn't a rose comb always natural? How could it be anything else?

my guess is Rosecomb Bantams.
That would be my guess as well.

Or they could be from someone's backyard project and not belong to any specific breed, but I think they are more likely to be Rosecombs, given how much they do resemble that breed.

Here's a page with the standards and lists all the colors: https://www.rosecombs.com/standard.html
Wow! I knew black was not the only option, but I had not realized there were so MANY color varieties for that breed!

I don't think they have the right comb to be Dutch Bantams or OEGB.
I agree.

This part has me puzzled. Isn't a rose comb always natural? How could it be anything else?

That would be my guess as well.

Or they could be from someone's backyard project and not belong to any specific breed, but I think they are more likely to be Rosecombs, given how much they do resemble that breed.

Wow! I knew black was not the only option, but I had not realized there were so MANY color varieties for that breed!

I agree.
Aside from one pair of black rosecombs I had, I’m more experienced with standard sized heritage breeds. I was under the impression that a rosecomb could be created by splitting the comb a certain way with a knife (same with peacombs)… at least that’s what I was told originally. I was also told that only certain breeds naturally produce anything except the standard single comb. That was probably 15 yrs ago though, so I don’t know how accurate that information is now. I lost my black rosecomb flock to a stray dog & was never allowed to replace them. These bantams that I have here were sold to me by a retiring 4-H breeder. He said that they were game chickens and I loved them, so I bought them and I’ve been trying to accurately I.d them so I can get a few more if possible and to ensure I’m providing the best level of care for them. If they are rosecombs, that’s awesome. I just wasn’t sure if they were Dutch bantams, actual rosecombs, or some kind of cross. My black rosecomb rooster used to used to perch on my shoulder and ride around while I took care of morning chores. His little hen preferred to be carried in the feed bucket. I kind of hope they are rosecombs. I have 2 more eggs in my incubator as of today, so I’m eager to see if they come out the same as Baby-Blue, or if they hatch as something different. So far it seems like I have about a 50/50 shot on whether or not the eggs hatch. My hen only lays 2 eggs per clutch and usually only one egg actually hatches. I really appreciate the help and the info. I enjoy learning new information, and I’m always open to new insights and advice on the matter. Thank you. Think you might be right about them being rosecombs.

Here's a page with the standards and lists all the colors: https://www.rosecombs.com/standard.html

Show quality birds would differ from pet/hatchery quality, of course and vary in color and type a bit. I don't think they have the right comb to be Dutch Bantams or OEGB. Other people might have some different ideas about what they could be

Show quality birds would differ from pet/hatchery quality, of course and vary in color and type a bit. I don't think they have the right comb to be Dutch Bantams or OEGB. Other people might have some different ideas about what they could be.
so, are these accepted everywhere? Or just certain ones in the USA, & certain ones in the UK? I’m a little confused I think.

Are you planning on showing them? Different associations such as the American Poultry Association (APA) and the American Bantam Association (ABA) accept different colors for showing. (I'm not familiar with the UK clubs that set the standards there.) Different colors may exist in a breed, but might not be recognized for show until the overseeing organization accepts them.

Are you planning on showing them? Different associations such as the American Poultry Association (APA) and the American Bantam Association (ABA) accept different colors for showing. (I'm not familiar with the UK clubs that set the standards there.) Different colors may exist in a breed, but might not be recognized for show until the overseeing organization accepts them.
Not necessarily, but I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea if I came across an outstanding specimen. I mainly just wanted some nice pets, but I also thought about looking into breeding a handful of show birds to help support local 4-H & FFA clubs to keep students interested in agriculture and poultry ventures.

I was under the impression that a rosecomb could be created by splitting the comb a certain way with a knife (same with peacombs)… at least that’s what I was told originally.
Certain breeds have their combs "dubbed" (start with a single comb and cut off most of it.) That is traditional for males of various kinds of gamefowl and for non-game breeds descended from them (example, Old English Game Bantams.) Some people in severe climates do it as an anti-frostbite measure for other breeds as well.

I have never heard of cutting the comb to make it look rose or pea. I would not expect it to work very well, given the surface texture that a rose comb and a pea comb usually have, as compared with how smooth a dubbed comb tends to be, but I don't know for sure.

I was also told that only certain breeds naturally produce anything except the standard single comb.
That part is true. If you breed single comb x single comb, all chicks will have single combs. Specific genes are required to get any other comb types, and if the breed does not have those genes, you will never get the other combs.

Rose comb is caused by a dominant gene, and pea comb by a different dominant gene. A chicken with both rose and pea genes has another kind of comb, called "walnut" by people studying genetics. People writing descriptions of chicken breeds call it "cushion" or "strawberry" or maybe other names as well.

It is fairly common for chickens with rose combs to carry the not-rose gene, so a flock will sometimes produce some chicks with single combs even when all the parents show rose combs. This sort-of happens with pea combs as well, but is less common because one vs. two pea comb genes will make the comb look a bit different, so it is easier to weed them out.

These bantams that I have here were sold to me by a retiring 4-H breeder. He said that they were game chickens and I loved them, so I bought them and I’ve been trying to accurately I.d them so I can get a few more if possible
If he called them game chickens, that might be what they are. Maybe he can tell you more about them, and he might know if there is anyone else breeding the same kind.

I’ve been trying to accurately I.d them so I can get a few more if possible and to ensure I’m providing the best level of care for them.
To a large extent, chickens are chickens, and they all need the same kind of care. There are only a few kinds that need special care. If yours are actually game chickens, you might need to house males separately after they reach a certain stage of maturity.

Most chickens can have multiple young males grow up together, and multiple adult males live together in a flock with hens or without hens, assuming they have enough space. But with actual game chickens, males will fight and kill each other unless you keep them in separate pens. Normal roosters will fight a bit and consider the matter settled, usually without major injuries. Or they will spread apart in a big pen or on free range, so each one has his own personal space and they don't bother to fight. But game roosters will fight to the point of death. Some chickens have "game" in the name without having that behavior (example: Old English Game Bantams), so the name alone is not going to be enough to figure that out.

Other chickens that require different care include:
--weird feathers (Silkie, frizzles, longtails)
--Cornish Cross meat chickens (enormous appetite, fast growth causes health issues)
None of those apply to the birds in your photos.

Back
Top Bottom