Can you put both chicken and duck eggs in same incubator?

Chicky-bock-bock-mamma

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2018
My thoughts are to start the duck eggs a week before the chicken eggs and have them hatch out at the same time. Anyone have luck doing this? What are tips, advice, experiences..... I have had great hatch rates for chickens but I have eggs for both and would like to hatch both. Thank you for your time and advice!

I don’t see why not, however I have no duck experience, but I have hatched chickens before. Both types of eggs have the same temperature (and similar humidity) requirements. What type of duck and chicken eggs are you hatching?

I've incubated them together a few times. Usually with bantam chicks, so those usually hatched first for me. Brooding both sets can be a challenge, so don't forget to consider that part. Otherwise, like Alaskan said, you may have to compromise slightly if humidity needs differ for your eggs. Just watch your air cells.

Should I start both eggs at the same time and run a divider down the middle? That way once the chicks hatch I can pull them out and then have a week for duck eggs to finish?

I've incubated them together a few times. Usually with bantam chicks, so those usually hatched first for me. Brooding both sets can be a challenge, so don't forget to consider that part. Otherwise, like Alaskan said, you may have to compromise slightly if humidity needs differ for your eggs. Just watch your air cells.

Should I start both eggs at the same time and run a divider down the middle? That way once the chicks hatch I can pull them out and then have a week for duck eggs to finish?

The better option is to start the duck eggs 7 days before the chicken eggs, like you mentioned in your first post.
Setting them at the same time causes a staggered hatch, and when you get to day 18 and raise humidity for the chicken eggs, the duck eggs aren't ready for that yet. It *can* be managed that way in a crunch, but starting them a week apart seems to work better.

Since you've hatched chickens before, do they usually hatch on time, early, or late? What type of incubator do you use?

When I run chicken eggs they are usually a day early on pipping. I use a still air foam incubator with an egg turner. I just did my last hatch of 32 eggs and had 28 chirping chicks make it to the brooder :) I just really want to have a good hatch on both.

The better option is to start the duck eggs 7 days before the chicken eggs, like you mentioned in your first post.
Setting them at the same time causes a staggered hatch, and when you get to day 18 and raise humidity for the chicken eggs, the duck eggs aren't ready for that yet. It *can* be managed that way in a crunch, but starting them a week apart seems to work better.

Since you've hatched chickens before, do they usually hatch on time, early, or late? What type of incubator do you use?

When I run chicken eggs they are usually a day early on pipping. I use a still air foam incubator with an egg turner. I just did my last hatch of 32 eggs and had 28 chirping chicks make it to the brooder :) I just really want to have a good hatch on both.

That's a great hatch. I think you will do fine with duck eggs too!

I've never hatched duck eggs, but have been tempted to try it for the last few years. WV gives spot on advice. Better to start the duck eggs first, then add the chicken eggs a week later. An other issue with staggered hatching which IMO is even more problematic than the lock down humidity is this: Hatching is a messy procedure. Even if you keep each species on separate sides, the hatching goo and dander can result in a bacterial slurry that covers your incubator, and gets vaporized to every surface by your fan. So, if you have a week of incubation left after the chicks hatch, those duck eggs are exposed to a LOT of bacteria.

I've never hatched duck eggs, but have been tempted to try it for the last few years. WV gives spot on advice. Better to start the duck eggs first, then add the chicken eggs a week later. An other issue with staggered hatching which IMO is even more problematic than the lock down humidity is this: Hatching is a messy procedure. Even if you keep each species on separate sides, the hatching goo and dander can result in a bacterial slurry that covers your incubator, and gets vaporized to every surface by your fan. So, if you have a week of incubation left after the chicks hatch, those duck eggs are exposed to a LOT of bacteria.

Excellent point!

Back
Top Bottom