Candling

zimmy

Songster
12 Years
Mar 24, 2007
Orlando
Okay.

So I don't have a nice candler. I just sort of block out the most light I can, and put the egg up towards the bulb. What's worrying me (what doesn't?) is that it's day three, but all I see are black blobs in the middle of the egg. Could it just be my makeshift method, or is that normal?
hu.gif
he.gif

Does anybody have day-to-day candle picks as a reference for me?

Hi,

Here are 2 candling sites that are very helpful:
http://www.homestead.com/shilala/candling.html

http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/Fresh/index.html

I use a small cardboard box (Ramen noodle packs came in), cut a 1 to 1 1/2 inch hole, set the eggs over the hole, and put just a bare bulb (lamp w/shade off) underneath. I have candles several times with this method and it works. Out of 20 eggs I had 1 chick death, 1 infertile, and 18 fertile. When I candled that batch, my candling method worked very well.

Best of luck!

You can use a toilet paper tube and a flashlight, too.
big_smile.png

Brown-shelled eggs are harder to candle than light-shelled eggs. I was so excited because last night I could see the very first signs of development in my eggs--hooray! It was 6 days for me before I saw anything, though. Don't be too worried, yet.

Speckled Hen, that's a GREAT site!

Last edited:
Llysse, I love that site and refer back to it often. It's so detailed and with many more pictures than any other one I've seen. I've become pretty adept at candling because of it, but then, I haven't had any green or blue eggs yet, LOL!

Last edited:
Thankyouthankyouthankyou!
hugs.gif
Major hugglesness for all
big_smile.png

But- aye dios mio.... I cracked one...

And now I feel /horrible/...
th.gif

I'd wait till at least day 7 to candle because at day 3 you might not even see the embryo unless you really know what you are looking for. If you crack open a early 3 day old embryo before it's eye starts to gain color, you could think that it was infertile. Patience is key. GOOD LUCK
fl.gif

Thanks...
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

Well, I won't tell my mum that. She'd probably freak, if she realized that there could've been a chickie.

And, patients? It's only day 5, and it's KILLING ME!!!! (twas day 4 when it was cracked). I won't disturb the eggys for two more days, other than to turn them, though.

I want to try and candle mine too. Nervous to see whats there. I should see some spider veins, I think. Day 7 is tomorrow. These are brown and green eggs. Keep us posted!

event.png

Back
Top Bottom