Canesten (clotramizole) to treat sour crop

Charlotte D

Chirping
Jul 11, 2020
I'm fairly certain my hen has sour crop. She's not eating, yet her crop is squishy and hot. I've read that it can be treated with clotramizole (canesten is the brand name in the UK), but don't know how much to give. Can anyone she'd any light please? Thanks

Superb! This is exactly what I need. Thanks.
Superb! This is exactly what I need. Thanks.
Hi Charlotte, I realise this post if from last year but just wondering if the clotrimazole worked for your chicken? I have some here ready to go for one of my girls but I am reluctant to use it as it says “for external use only”. I am nervous that it’s not suitable to digest and I will poison her!! 😥

Hi Charlotte, I realise this post if from last year but just wondering if the clotrimazole worked for your chicken? I have some here ready to go for one of my girls but I am reluctant to use it as it says “for external use only”. I am nervous that it’s not suitable to digest and I will poison her!! 😥
Hi Erin
This reply is old but am posting here for the record and future people who come across it. My chook also had sourcrop (I think they all get it at some point!) and I fed her Canesten vaginal pessaries and it worked! Ive tried a range of antifungals and they didn't work where as this did. Because my girl is a bantam I gave her 1/4 tablet twice a day (chopped into smaller pieces as its fairly big and her mouth is only small) for about a week I think (was last year). The pessaries are made to dissolve in 'moist environments' and I feel are better for them than the cream which I imagine may make you feel bit sick, you can buy them in a box of 6 over the counter here in Oz. I also give my chooks 'degas' products (contain simethicone and peppermint oil) which makes them burp the gas out and helps their crop deflate and feel better...squeese the contents of a few capsules on their beak for them to swallow and massage the crop until they burp - you can see the look of relief on their little chicken faces :)
https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/3175/de-gas-48-capsules

Back
Top Bottom