Canker not going away

crissy1079

Songster
8 Years
Oct 8, 2015
I’m pretty sure it’s canker what my chickens have well some of them. So the one I’m worried about acts like she can’t eat. She picks towards food but puts nothing in her mouth. I could see some canker and scraped it out. It comes right back. I’ve tried 5 days one pill a day fish zole. I’m now trying this ronidazole 50 powder I mix in water and syringe feeding her baby food and this medicated water. Tomorrow is 7th day of ronidazole 50 and she is the same she is weak but runs around with the others comes for treats gets on the roosting pole at night. The pill went down and baby food and water goes down. So can’t be completely blocked. But she won’t eat or drink on her own at least what I have seen. She is a Brahma about 6 years old she went broody and that’s when it all started. I’ve had canker in my flock but acv and once a month sulfate seems to keep it in check. These are my pets the sick one comes to my glass door everyday looking for me. She is very friendly I will do anything to help her. Can’t find a chicken vet. Found one once and I seemed more knowledgeable than her. She gave me some powder tylan for a sick chicken was not strong enough. So I ended up getting tylan 50 and treated them myself and they recovered . So I’m really not trusting her. And can’t find anyone else that sees chickens

Last edited:
Have you looked here on BYC for other canker threads?

Or attach a photo?

I haven't dealt with it before but maybe we can get someone else on here to help!

Have you looked here on BYC for other canker threads?

Or attach a photo?

I haven't dealt with it before but maybe we can get someone else on here to help!
Yes I’ve looked and read all over here and the internet and have tried just about everything I have read. I can try and get a photo but it’s pretty far down her throat not sure how good it will trim out

Could it be something other than canker?

Have you tried Acidified Copper Sulfate?

Or good doses of probiotics to see if you can support her own system to fight it off?

I'm just shooting in the dark, sorry...

Could it be something other than canker?

Have you tried Acidified Copper Sulfate?

Or good doses of probiotics to see if you can support her own system to fight it off?

I'm just shooting in the dark, sorry...
After the 2 medications I tried I stopped with those and tried Acid sulfate after 4 days of that’s she started getting wobbly like she can’t walk very well now. So I thought maybe she is missing some vitamins so now I stopped all treatment and just giving her probiotics in water. Im gussing this stuff is in her throat where I can’t see it. The stuff I can see I scrape out and it comes right back. Everything I’ve read and researched looks like canker but doesn’t smell so I really don’t know. I got in contact with someone that says they know a vet that sees chickens so I’m waiting to get that info so I can take her there.

After the 2 medications I tried I stopped with those and tried Acid sulfate after 4 days of that’s she started getting wobbly like she can’t walk very well now. So I thought maybe she is missing some vitamins so now I stopped all treatment and just giving her probiotics in water. Im gussing this stuff is in her throat where I can’t see it. The stuff I can see I scrape out and it comes right back. Everything I’ve read and researched looks like canker but doesn’t smell so I really don’t know. I got in contact with someone that says they know a vet that sees chickens so I’m waiting to get that info so I can take her there.
That would be good if you can find a vet, I hope they can get her the right treatment.

Back
Top Bottom