Cardboard Boxes as Temp Nesting Boxes

britinpa

Songster
Jun 22, 2020
Central Pennsylvania
I'm intending to clean out the chicken coop tomorrow and was wondering what to put in the run for them to lay in whilst the coop is closed. Will they lay in cardboard boxes if I put a couple in their run?

If you're planning on cleaning for a few hours, they'll likely just hold in the eggs until the coop is accessible again.
So, should I not bother with the cardboard boxes? I'm going to clean and hose down the coop when I let them out at around 6 am tomorrow. It's getting down to 63 degrees tonight, and is going to be around 91 degrees by lunchtime, so hopefully it will dry out quickly.

If you're planning on cleaning for a few hours, they'll likely just hold in the eggs until the coop is accessible again.
I'm picturing a line of chickens trying desperately to hold in their eggs while OP is cleaning the coop :gig

:) But rosemarythyme is right, they'll either hold them in or just lay them on the ground, mine do that quite often. I doubt they'll use the boxes if you put them there. It would most likely be a waste of time for you.

So, should I not bother with the cardboard boxes? I'm going to clean and hose down the coop when I let them out at around 6 am tomorrow. It's getting down to 63 degrees tonight, and is going to be around 91 degrees by lunchtime, so hopefully it will dry out quickly.
I wouldn't bother with the boxes, as they're unlikely to want to use them (unless these are your existing nest boxes).

Are you washing out the coop? Wood coop or plastic/resin? Especially if it's wood, I'd recommend dry clean outs, it'll take longer than a couple of hours to dry out. The only time water/anything wet has ever been inside my coop was when we were actively treating for mites.

I'm picturing a line of chickens trying desperately to hold in their eggs while OP is cleaning the coop :gig

:) But rosemarythyme is right, they'll either hold them in or just lay them on the ground, mine do that quite often. I doubt they'll use the boxes if you put them there. It would most likely be a waste of time for you.
I wouldn't bother with the boxes, as they're unlikely to want to use them (unless these are your existing nest boxes).

Are you washing out the coop? Wood coop or plastic/resin? Especially if it's wood, I'd recommend dry clean outs, it'll take longer than a couple of hours to dry out. The only time water/anything wet has ever been inside my coop was when we were actively treating for mites.
Thanks all. Its a wood coop - maybe I will just get a bucket of soapy water to just wipe the dusty window ledges and their roost rather than hosing it down. I thought a hose would get the dirt and dust out of the crevices better. I'm wishing I had an old shop vac to get the corners and crevices clean (am I being too picky, lol).

Another question - I have never used DE in the chicken coop and don't have any right now. Can I sprinkle wood ash in the corners of the coop instead of DE after I have cleaned?

Thanks all. Its a wood coop - maybe I will just get a bucket of soapy water to just wipe the dusty window ledges and their roost rather than hosing it down. I thought a hose would get the dirt and dust out of the crevices better. I'm wishing I had an old shop vac to get the corners and crevices clean (am I being too picky, lol).
Best to minimize anything wet inside the coop then. Wiping down glass or plastic surfaces, if any, is fine, but for everything else I'd be content with a paint scraper (for scraping clean anything that's soiled) and a good broom.

For dust, some folks do use a shop vac. I use a leaf blower to blow dust out instead (cover yourself VERY well if you do that - I use goggles, respirator mask, old clothes that can be tossed, and even a shower cap to keep my head from being a dust mop).

Another question - I have never used DE in the chicken coop and don't have any right now. Can I sprinkle wood ash in the corners of the coop instead of DE after I have cleaned?

I'm in the "DE doesn't do much" camp. If you think you have a mite issue, best to treat it directly (that's the one time I think you can justify getting the coop wet) rather than using preventatives that really are iffy as far as preventing it.

Best to minimize anything wet inside the coop then. Wiping down glass or plastic surfaces, if any, is fine, but for everything else I'd be content with a paint scraper (for scraping clean anything that's soiled) and a good broom.

For dust, some folks do use a shop vac. I use a leaf blower to blow dust out instead (cover yourself VERY well if you do that - I use goggles, respirator mask, old clothes that can be tossed, and even a shower cap to keep my head from being a dust mop).

I'm in the "DE doesn't do much" camp. If you think you have a mite issue, best to treat it directly (that's the one time I think you can justify getting the coop wet) rather than using preventatives that really are iffy as far as preventing it.
Thanks! I don't have a leaf blower, so will prob. use an old vacuum cleaner that I have after I have emptied the bedding out. I thought about a shower cap, but don't have one - I do have regular masks and old clothes - will take a shower straight after I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom