Cat/Kitten for Mouse Control

triciayoung

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Oct 15, 2022
Mountville, SC
My Coop
My Coop
I have a mouse issue. I am trapping them and catching every evening but I don't think I am getting ahead of it. While my run is surrounded in 1/2 inch hardware cloth with aprons, the mice can actually tunnel from 18-inches away to get in.

I am not a cat person, so I know nothing about cats, and of course nothing about cats with chickens.

If I got a kitten, could the kitten "live" with the chickens? What about any disease risks? When the kitten grows up, will it be a predator to the chickens? And anything else I need to know. Thank you.

Try sprinkling cayenne pepper around the coop and run. It doesn't bother chickens but mice hate it. Mice also hate peppermint. You can mix 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint oil with 8 ounces of water in a spray bottle and spray that around the run and coop.

If I got a kitten, could the kitten "live" with the chickens? What about any disease risks? When the kitten grows up, will it be a predator to the chickens? And anything else I need to know. Thank you.
I do not think you need to worry much about diseases spreading between chickens and cats.

I have read of cats that kill chicks, and may even kill adult chickens. I have read of cats that are fine with adult chickens and even with young chicks. I cannot tell which situation is more common.

You could try a thing some people do with dogs: raise the kitten (one or two kittens) in a cage that is beside or inside the chicken pen. That lets the kitten get used to chickens being around, but keeps the kitten from playing with the chickens or catching them. Hopefully this will make chickens seem normal and boring to the kitten as it grows up.

You might consider putting the kitten or cat in the chicken run every night, after the chickens are shut in their coop for the night. That would let the cat catch any mice that come into the run at night, while avoiding any nighttime cat/chicken problems.

I have no real experience with cats & chickens of my own (the only time I had both at once, the chickens were penned up for safety from other predators, but that also kept the cat from interacting with them.)

If you just want the mice gone, a cat may not be the best choice.
If you want a cat anyway, and having the cat eat mice would just be an extra bonus, then getting a cat or kitten is probably a good choice.

If you want a cat anyway, and having the cat eat mice would just be an extra bonus, then getting a cat or kitten is probably a good choice.

I’m going to second this. A cat is a long term commitment. Think ~15 years.

If you just want mouse control, are you using a treadle feeder already? What are you already doing to keep them out of the feed?

I do not think you need to worry much about diseases spreading between chickens and cats.

I have read of cats that kill chicks, and may even kill adult chickens. I have read of cats that are fine with adult chickens and even with young chicks. I cannot tell which situation is more common.

You could try a thing some people do with dogs: raise the kitten (one or two kittens) in a cage that is beside or inside the chicken pen. That lets the kitten get used to chickens being around, but keeps the kitten from playing with the chickens or catching them. Hopefully this will make chickens seem normal and boring to the kitten as it grows up.

You might consider putting the kitten or cat in the chicken run every night, after the chickens are shut in their coop for the night. That would let the cat catch any mice that come into the run at night, while avoiding any nighttime cat/chicken problems.

I have no real experience with cats & chickens of my own (the only time I had both at once, the chickens were penned up for safety from other predators, but that also kept the cat from interacting with them.)

Thank you

Try sprinkling cayenne pepper around the coop and run. It doesn't bother chickens but mice hate it. Mice also hate peppermint. You can mix 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint oil with 8 ounces of water in a spray bottle and spray that around the run and coop.
Thank you. Before bothering you fine people, I have used peppermint and peppermint pouches, and cinnamon oil. I will try the cayenne pepper.

Back
Top Bottom