Cat with chicks

Greetings from Kansas, KatD, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us!

Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

Just make sure the chicks are in a secure place that the cat cant reach into with claws and hurt them. Good luck to you

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Be careful with that cat around the chicks. Many chicks have fallen victim to cats before. Cats are hunters and little chicks are easy prey.

welcome-byc.gif
You never hear about a chick killing a bunch of kittens but it's old, old news that the family kitten, cat, pup or dog, massacres the baby chicks. Go thru new posts and see how many people open their introduction with that and 'never saw it coming!" That's the heartbreak of being a greeter on here.
hit.gif

Some posters have had the massacres two and three times and just say, they'll get more chicks. Those are the ones I don't answer. There are good experiences with cats, dogs and chickens but, when it occurs it's BIG NEWs

One day I noticed the door to the brooder room ajar, despite my husbands redneck ingenuity with the bungie cord. While this method does help regulate the temperature in the room by preventing the door from swinging wide open, it does not keep out the cat. It will however, spring the door hinge on the adjacent door if anchored there. I do not recomend that. Install a hook and eye, hasp or latch. Its much easer than rehanging the door. (FYI).

Once inside, I discovered Little Ricky upon numerous occasions bird watching or sleeping. We have run him out with the water bottle but he is a persistant little thing. Here he poses angelicly with halo. It will please all to know that the brooder is a dog kennel reinforced with quarter inch hardware cloth and chicken wire and equiped with two latches. This kennel has served us well. Little Ricky has had no more luck breaking in to it than he had breaking out of it. The household critters have lived for so long with various residents of the kennel that they seem to just assume escape is futile. LIttle Ricky, an indoor cat, acustomed to window shopping, doesn't seem as interested in opening the kennel as in watching the chicks. We continued to run him out just in case until the coop was secure and the chicks were ready for a Texas summer night. All healthy chicks made it to the coop and have spent a week there. There are some new chicks in the brooder now. We are less concerned about Ricky than before. But we run him out while the little guys are tiny anyway. Just in case. :D

Back
Top Bottom