Cayuga duckling hatched prematurely. Help please.

DuckDuckandDuck

Hatching
Oct 8, 2024
Hi All,
I’ve recently had some Cayuga ducks hatch. First 5 hatched fine, no issues. First 3 hatched 2nd of October healthy and energetic. Another 2 hatched on the 7th, and another 2 yesterday on the 8th about 4am. All 5 previous duckings had no deformities or trouble hatching. One of the 2 that that hatched on the 8th died trying to escape its shell, and the final duck escaped their shell but appears to still be absorbing his yolk. The blood vessels to the membrane seemed to have separated at there was no blood present.
I currently have them in a cup on paper towel as they’re still curled up, but their eyes are open and they’re chirping. It’s been 10ish hours since they left the egg.
This is my first time hatching duck eggs and I am unsure what to do. I realise at this point they’ll either survive or they won’t but I’d like to give them the best chance. Any help, advice or similar experience would be very appreciated.
Thanks.

Is it only one duckling that needs to absorb the yolk still? I would keep it in half of its shell, or the paper cup as I believe others have used, in the incubator. Depending on how much yolk still needs to absorb, it may take a while so just let it rest while it's absorbing. I had one that wasn't quite ready, and it did great after a night or so. I hope this one pulls through too. ❤️

Keep it in the cup where it’s warm and leave it be. It takes 24-48 hours for a duck to start eating after it as fully absorbed the yolk. Those that hatch with the yolk not only take longer to eat/drink, but also often are weaker taking longer to walk. For these cases once it is 24 hours old I take a drop of poultry cell and place it on the inside edge of their bill. Start with one drop, give it a few hours then do another drop. Don’t force it to eat until it’s been 48 hours AFTER the yolk has fully absorbed.

Is it only one duckling that needs to absorb the yolk still? I would keep it in half of its shell, or the paper cup as I believe others have used, in the incubator. Depending on how much yolk still needs to absorb, it may take a while so just let it rest while it's absorbing. I had one that wasn't quite ready, and it did great after a night or so. I hope this one pulls through too. ❤️
That is what I have done, and so far so good. Little fella is still kicking and making a bunch of noise so I’m hoping for the best. Thank you. ☺️

Keep it in the cup where it’s warm and leave it be. It takes 24-48 hours for a duck to start eating after it as fully absorbed the yolk. Those that hatch with the yolk not only take longer to eat/drink, but also often are weaker taking longer to walk. For these cases once it is 24 hours old I take a drop of poultry cell and place it on the inside edge of their bill. Start with one drop, give it a few hours then do another drop. Don’t force it to eat until it’s been 48 hours AFTER the yolk has fully absorbed.
Little fella is still alive and well, trying their best. Thank you. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom