Oct 3, 2020
Bethel, NY
I will preface by saying that I am a first time chicken owner (but long time animal rescuer) from the city and desperately need help!!

I ordered 5 buff silkie chickens at the end of June from an online supplier and they all amazingly arrived healthy and adorable. They immediately took to each other and despite giving them never ending love, treats and a wonderful warm home, never seemed to love us! We kept hoping that would change but they hate us more with each day and they are 13 weeks now.

We moved them outside into a massive coop and let them free range on our 4 acres at around 9 weeks. We almost always were watching them and if we left them alone it wasn’t for more then a few minutes. Well of course during a quick trip inside a few weeks ago, our hen was killed by a hawk (our favorite one of course!!). She was one of only two hens of the five straight run we received. We mourned and then searched and searched for a silkie pullet replacement.

Lo and behold we found a 5 month partridge silkie show pullet for sale 4 hours away and drove out the next day to pick her up. She had a totally different disposition, temperament, look and even sound. She is docile, affectionate, loving and loves being pet like a lap cat. Not to mention, she is the prettiest bird I’ve ever seen! She is exactly what we were hoping for in the first place.

Now onto the help... we can’t seem to get our mean 13 week old prison yard chickens to get along with our sweet docile 5 (almost 6 month) silkie pullet and it’s made her (and us) really depressed. We tried the cage method, free ranging, everything. It’s been two weeks and they are less aggressive towards her but just won’t accept her as part of their flock. She never stops trying to “blend in” by standing close to the group hoping they won’t notice she’s there. Since she is submissive and docile by nature I really wasn’t expecting it to be such an issue.

Now onto our second problem... since the mean juvenile flock won’t accept her, we have created a home for her in our green room where it’s warm and cozy. Seeing her so alone at night after a days of pecking and social rejection in the chicken run was making her increasingly sad. So... we had the brilliant idea of buying her two more chicks!! They are three week old splash silkies. We were told silkies are natural mothers and she would take the chicks as her own... a win win! She regains family and friends and we get two new chicks!

Well, it didn’t work out. We brought the chicks home tonight and our pullet just went after them, pecking and screaming. I was shocked! I have never seen her show aggression, even when she gets picked on and rejected every day by a gang of mean (and much younger) chicks!

What should we do?? I am about ready to throw in the towel and give them all away, it’s just been very discouraging, stressful and heartbreaking. Why can’t everyone just be happy?!

Now we have three groups of chicks!! We have our four 13 week old prison yard chicks (3 roosters and 1 hen), our beautiful, needy and docile 5 1/2 month docile pullet (who sooo desperately wants to be part of the mean flock), and now two very cute (and smart!!) three week old splash silkies who are happy as can be.

The worst part is that the splash silkies now are in the small green room in a brooder and the 5 1/2 month pullet has been displaced to the living room and won’t stop wailing!! It’s so sad!!

Long story short... help. I need to create peace here because we’ve really bonded with this sweet pullet and she’s just so sad now, having been both rejected, isolated and now displaced. I was hoping to have her raise these chicks but maybe it’s more realistic to try to get her into the outdoor coop? Any thoughts on any of the above would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 4AC1B7DF-9D72-4372-A597-3779C8F8AE92.jpeg
    4AC1B7DF-9D72-4372-A597-3779C8F8AE92.jpeg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 1F254506-5AAB-4607-A0AB-B2BC09032597.jpeg
    1F254506-5AAB-4607-A0AB-B2BC09032597.jpeg
    759.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 7331134D-6CB6-4283-92C8-B50A4C07C83A.jpeg
    7331134D-6CB6-4283-92C8-B50A4C07C83A.jpeg
    681.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I will preface by saying that I am a first time chicken owner (but long time animal rescuer) from the city and desperately need help!!

I ordered 5 buff silkie chickens at the end of June from an online supplier and they all amazingly arrived healthy and adorable. They immediately took to each other and despite giving them never ending love, treats and a wonderful warm home, never seemed to loved us! We kept hoping that would change but they hate us more with each day and they are 13 weeks now.

We moved them outside into a massive coop and let them free range on our 4 acres at around 9 weeks. We almost always were watching them and if we left them alone it wasn’t for more then a few minutes. Well of course during a quick trip inside one day a few weeks ago, one was killed by a hawk (our favorite one of course!!). She was one of only two hens of the five straight run we ordered. We mourned and then searched and searched for a silkie pullet hen replacement.

Lo and behold we found a 5 month partridge silkie show pullet for sale 4 hours away and drove out the next day to pick her up. She had a totally different disposition, temperament, look and even sound. She is docile, affectionate, loving and loves being pet like a lap cat. Not to mention, she is the prettiest bird I’ve ever seen! She is exactly what we were hoping for in the first batch.

Now onto the help... we can’t seem to get our mean 13 week old prison yard chickens to get along with our sweet docile 5 (almost 6 month) silkie pullet and it’s made everyone really depressed. We tried the cage method, free ranging, everything. It’s been two weeks and they are less aggressive towards her but just won’t accept her as part of their flock. She is just so sad and never stops trying to “blend in” by standing close to the group hoping they won’t notice she’s there. Since she is submissive and docile by nature I really wasn’t expecting it to be such an issue.

Now onto our second problem... since the mean juvenile flock won’t accept her, we have created a home for her in our green room where it’s warm and comfortable. Seeing her so alone at night after a days of pecking and social rejection in the chicken run was making her increasingly sad. So... we had the brilliant idea of buying her two more chicks!! They are three week old splash silkies. We were told silkies are natural mothers and she would take the chicks as her own... a win win! She regains family and friends and we get two new chicks!

Well, it didn’t work out. We brought the chicks home tonight and our pullet just went after them, pecking and screaming. I was shocked! I have never seen her show aggression, even when she gets picked on and rejected every day by a gang of mean (and much younger) chicks!

What should we do?? I am about ready to throw in the towel and give them all away, it’s just been very discouraging, stressful and heartbreaking. Why can’t everyone just be happy?!

Now we have three groups of chicks!! We have our four 13 week old prison yard chicks (4 roosters and 1 hen), our beautiful, needy and docile 5 1/2 month pet pullet (who sooo desperately wants to be part of the prison gang), and now two very cute (and smart!!) three week old splash silkies who are happy as can be.

The worst part is that the splash silkies now are in the small green room in a brooder and the 5 1/2 month pullet has been displaced to the living room and won’t stop wailing!! It’s so sad!!

Long story short... help. I need to create peace here because we’ve really bonded with this sweet pullet and she’s just so sad now, having been both rejected, isolated and now displaced. I was hoping to have her raise these chicks but maybe it’s more realistic to try to get her into the outdoor coop? Any thoughts on any of the above would be much appreciated!
Not quite sure about the other silkies being depressed but it's probably since the babies are already older, she isn't used to it and just thinks that they are trying to invade her area. If you want to resolve that you're probably going to want to buy some fertile hatching eggs for her to buy so that she can hatch them on her own. I had the same problem when I tried introducing my 3 week old chicks to one of the hens 😅

Not quite sure about the other silkies being depressed but it's probably since the babies are already older, she isn't used to it and just thinks that they are trying to invade her area. If you want to resolve that you're probably going to want to buy some fertile hatching eggs for her to buy so that she can hatch them on her own. I had the same problem when I tried introducing my 3 week old chicks to one of the hens 😅
Thanks for your response! It’s just the one silkie we bought a couple weeks ago that has gotten depressed from being alone. The chicks outside we’ve had since they were day olds are happy as can be! They just aren’t very friendly, especially not to her. I guess I was hoping for the best in creating a new family for her with two 3 week old chicks... now everyone is in separate sleeping quarters.

Welcime to by.
Give it time. Sometimes takes a month for a group to accept a newbie.
I would suggest the look no touch. Put your 3 new babies in with the docile girl in the sunroom, in separate area, where she can see them but not hurt them maybe a child's playpen? Then let them get to know each other. Your docile girl has been upended, new home, new treat giver, no friends, picked on, now you've given her 3 new birds, she thinks their gonna take her territory away also,
Let them all settle THEN try to join groups.
I would suggest getting rid of ALL roosters [cocktails at this age], do you know, are the 3 babies girls?
Wer here to help and listen, give opinions.
Lots of knowledgeable helpful people here.
good luck

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
It takes MONTHS, not weeks for birds to form a cohesive flock.
A Silkie, nor any other chicken for that matter, is not going to just take to new chicks because their breed is known for being good mothers. They HAVE to be broody and then they have to have been broody for at least 2 weeks to pull that off. And rarely will they accept a chick much older than three days old.
I recommend that you start a new thread in the Managing My Flock Forum and post lots of pictures of your setup. The number one resource chickens need to form a new flock is SPACE! Lots of other things to do in the run other than pummel thy flock mate and multiple food and water stations help too.

When I am integrating newly broody weened chicks into the flock, I literally put little piles of food all over their area in addition to filling my 20' equivalent length feed troughs so everyone can find a spot to get something to eat. I have them penned in a 1/3 acre area with the coop and run and lots and lots of places to go hang out and scratch around and dust bathe. I have a current tyrant in the spring batch of pullets and cockerels who literally chases down my little lone hatch chick and her slightly older bantam cousins and I believe if she could get to them would scalp them. She can't because they have too many places to get away and hide. And they are slowly working their way into the main flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

You have been given some great advice from the others above. Integration of new birds will always upset the flock. Birds just don't take kindly to new members, no matter their ages. Even the one on the lowest end of the order will attack a new bird. This is just the way the "pecking order" is designed and yes, it can be sad and disheartening. As stated by @DobieLover it will take many months for them to truly except each other. So in the mean time you need to offer them big spaces to escape bullies, put out several food and water stations so everyone can get sustenance and help occasionally when needed. If lower ranking birds aren't being allowed to roost at night, go out and make sure she gets on the roost bar. Give her a bit more attention than the others, I tend to pamper the lower ranking birds. And of course always intervene it it turns bloody. Do not be afraid to cage a bully for a while, this will give the lower ranking birds a chance to relax and learn the ways of the flock. Definitely remove the extra boys, way too many.

Good luck with your Silkies and welcome aboard!

Back
Top Bottom