Cheap solution for keeping your coop run dry and protected from the elements

hansoto

Chirping
Nov 2, 2017
Colorado
We left for Disneyland before Christmas 2017 and I had my neighbor take care of my chickens. He did a great job feeding and cleaning the poop. One oversight was that I left the run exposed to the elements — a healthy snowstorm came in and filled the inside with snow. My chickens tracked it into the coop and though they are quite resilient, it was a just huge mess. Figured out a cheap solution that appeared to work wonders. I bought some clear/translucent vinyl bath curtains for $2 and a grommet making set at home depot for $10 along with 3 more packs of grommets ($3 each). Today was the first “snow” since I put them on and my girls seem to be very very happy with the dry run and coop. I do NOT have a heater in the coop/run and don’t recommend anyone putting one in theirs; you increase the chances of your chickens getting pneumonia from the humidity and you can catch the coop on fire. I have, however, been entertaining the idea of a heated seed starter mat underneath the nesting boxes. Like anything, always looking to improve my setup. Open to comments and suggestions on adding some cooler accessories to my coop.

Attachments

• 885825E9-DA19-489B-BBC1-10324A78AE8B.jpeg
    885825E9-DA19-489B-BBC1-10324A78AE8B.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 1C91A070-37CE-4F9C-80FE-1EC532E24798.png
    1C91A070-37CE-4F9C-80FE-1EC532E24798.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 68CC10D6-15D4-4D2A-AF5F-48B4E2470E04.png
    68CC10D6-15D4-4D2A-AF5F-48B4E2470E04.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
  • FCB20D8E-E28D-411D-B9DA-75549E76C9D2.jpeg
    FCB20D8E-E28D-411D-B9DA-75549E76C9D2.jpeg
    576.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 202F4B51-8FF8-4D2D-B696-0C59ED28CB33.jpeg
    202F4B51-8FF8-4D2D-B696-0C59ED28CB33.jpeg
    575.5 KB · Views: 44
Really like that idea to enclose your run during colder months. I often just use 5 + mil. plastic sheathing which gets kind of tricky doing it by myself. With my new run in the making and coop, I managed to get some used greenhouse panels (4 x 8) for free. They are discolored, but think will be a great solution for my new run roof. The sides like yours will be mainly HC and snap fence panels which I find are a lot cheaper, around $50 for six 4 x 4 mesh panels. I'd really like to flatter the option of using PVC corrugated roof panels for the exterior sides next winter with plastic run along the inside to create a thermal barrier. Hoping this method as I've watched countless videos on can keep a compost pile active all winter long warming my run and coop to above freezing.

Next year ill build a coverage set up or get a car port. But my coop an pen have a pallet fence all around with pylwood attached on the inside of the pen which blocks the wind an i shovel everytimw it snows an move all the snow to one end to help block the wind. Its about 40 x 40 ft after that i layed out some hay on the growned for them to walk on. They actaually like spending time outside most days. Im in maine btw. I dont use heat as well but i do use a water heater thats kept outside the coop to one side on the pen. Makes it easier than constantly checking on frozen water. I like your set up looks like your doing it all right . not suew where you are but always check craigslist swap n sells an different businesses that throwaway perfectly good building material. I got all my pallets an next to new pylwood (200 pieces) for free from a local recycling place. Im all about free an upcycling lol

Nice thread. We don't really have a snow problem, occasionally a couple of inches, but we do get plenty of rain. When it rains hard and is windy, part of our run can get a bit muddy. I like the curtain idea, something we can put up easily when needed and then take down when not needed, really only need to curtain off one corner. Also, thanks for posting where you are located. BB

Nice thread. We don't really have a snow problem, occasionally a couple of inches, but we do get plenty of rain. When it rains hard and is windy, part of our run can get a bit muddy. I like the curtain idea, something we can put up easily when needed and then take down when not needed, really only need to curtain off one corner. Also, thanks for posting where you are located. BB
I am in Thornton, Colorado

True. Should never have a fully enclosed run and coop without a cold air intake/outlet vent at a minimum.

I agree. I could have learned this the hard way but thanks to people like you, I am able to avoid those deadly mistakes. A solar intake and outlet vent sounds like a killer idea :)

We left for Disneyland before Christmas 2017 and I had my neighbor take care of my chickens. He did a great job feeding and cleaning the poop. One oversight was that I left the run exposed to the elements — a healthy snowstorm came in and filled the inside with snow. My chickens tracked it into the coop and though they are quite resilient, it was a just huge mess. Figured out a cheap solution that appeared to work wonders. I bought some clear/translucent vinyl bath curtains for $2 and a grommet making set at home depot for $10 along with 3 more packs of grommets ($3 each). Today was the first “snow” since I put them on and my girls seem to be very very happy with the dry run and coop. I do NOT have a heater in the coop/run and don’t recommend anyone putting one in theirs; you increase the chances of your chickens getting pneumonia from the humidity and you can catch the coop on fire. I have, however, been entertaining the idea of a heated seed starter mat underneath the nesting boxes. Like anything, always looking to improve my setup. Open to comments and suggestions on adding some cooler accessories to my coop.
:goodpost:
I might also adopt the curtain idea for rain "showers" hahaha sorry had to.
What was the heated seed starter mat you mentioned?? And have you installed/used it yet?

:goodpost:
I might also adopt the curtain idea for rain "showers" hahaha sorry had to.
What was the heated seed starter mat you mentioned?? And have you installed/used it yet?

The seed starter mat was just an idea - after doing a little more research, I decided against it bc the chickens would only want to hang out and roost there. I have zero heat in my coop which is probably the best thing.

Back
Top Bottom