Check up on my work

FirstTimeChikens

Chirping
May 31, 2024
Kentucky
So I've had my chicks for about 3 weeks. I wanted a check in on how I'm doing.

20240620_200600.jpg

Those are my vaccinated 13. They have a little box for dirt baths, a stick from outside to roost on, food, water. They've been having some diaheraa I think it's because I've been giving them a lot of meal worms, I provide grit with mealworms always though. They also peck at the pine shavings so maybe that's why? Idk they don't seem lethargic, quite the opposite, they never stop chirping it feels like (sarcastic, I've seen them sleep) I attached a picture of where I'm getting the dirt from. It's not super fresh, but accessible. I've also attached a picture of my silkies that just had an outbreak of cocci, they aren't vaccinated but seem do be doing much better. They are much quieter than the 13, but it may have to do with personalities, idk. Everyone has grit, organic food, and fresh water every night (I dump out the nasty throughout the day though). I skipped grit today because I was worried about the tummy issues and didn't know what to do. Birds are roosting, flying, pecking, and being naughty, so I think that means they are healthy. I open the garage at sunset to sit with them and let them get some fresh air. I'll be introducing dirt to the silkies soon to build up some of their immune system, before I mix with my 13 vaccinated. Let me know how I'm doing!

P.s. the only treats I give are mealworms and a few crickets.

Attachments

• 20240620_200605.jpg
    20240620_200605.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240620_200553.jpg
    20240620_200553.jpg
    819.3 KB · Views: 6
How much mealworm? They're so young that they really shouldn't have more than a couple a day.

How are you providing grit? Is it always available for them to take or are you sprinkling it on the ground daily, or...?
Def too much mealworm 🤣 I give like a 2 tbsp throughout the day (total). Sprinkling grit daily on crumbles (when i go to clean poop out of crumbles ever couple of hours, i simple more) I didn't have another dish to provide it for them.

Def too much mealworm 🤣 I give like a 2 tbsp throughout the day (total). Sprinkling grit daily on crumbles (when i go to clean poop out of crumbles ever couple of hours, i simple more) I didn't have another dish to provide it for them.
I'd reduce the amount of mealworms as well as frequency of grit. I do a sprinkle of grit maybe 1-2x a week. Grit stays in the system until its worn down enough that the body ejects it, so it's not like food where it goes in and then gets processed and out.

I'd reduce the amount of mealworms as well as frequency of grit. I do a sprinkle of grit maybe 1-2x a week. Grit stays in the system until its worn down enough that the body ejects it, so it's not like food where it goes in and then gets processed and out.
Thank you!!!!! I was just thinking about when the grit would exit the body and this cleared up sooo much confusion! Hopefully this solves some upset tummies. Thank you for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom