Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
I have been super busy, my mom had a baby and as you can imagine, it is a bit strange because I am far from young lol. But my fam and I have moved and so my chickies did too! They are adjusting well! I have a very tiny bantam that I hatched and raised by myself and she is in a small coop all by herself, I am a bit worried about her because she has no friends but she is okay for now. I had one chicken die a few days ago from a mystery sickness :hit. But all of the others are merged because they were in pike 4 separate flicks because I am a chicken and hate to merge chickens because mine are evil. But I had several super mean chickens that were the problems and I got rid of them and now everyone is living almost peacefully! If anyone can tell me how to make the flock of 8 like the 1 micro hen I would love suggestions because she has to go in with them at some point.
IMG_0930.jpeg
IMG_0883.jpeg
IMG_0910.jpeg

I haven't been getting the emails from BYC for over a year now. I used to get notice when someone posted. I thought maybe I was off the list mail list.

We have had loss in the last 6 months. Our beloved first chicken, Lacey, had to be put to sleep at the vet at 12 years old. Then her partner of 6 years, Cagney, passed in her sleep a few months later. I believe from a broken heart. She was never the same after Lacey passed.

We had another rescue chicken, Little Bit, who was nearly bald. She grew her feathers back and was beautiful but she was one of those short lived breeds. Renal failure. We had to put her to sleep at the vet.

So now we have Mabel and Charlotte, golden laced Wyandottes. They are delightful and adapting well to the spoiled life that chickens have in our back yard.

We plan to get two more Wyandottes. We like them because they're cold hardy.

My husband built a new coop and run by modifying kits. We reinforced the hardware cloth inside with 2x3 fencing on the outside. Also put poly lattice underneath the entire foundation so nothing can dig in. They are very safe and secure.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 2.54.33 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 2.54.33 PM.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 1
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Been busy growing chicks successfully! Hatching them in the incubator and selling the chicks. Also recently hatched beautiful guinea fowls.

Currently chicken-less thanks to the 'neighbor' who decided 5+ years of me having chickens was suddenly offensive and sicced the HOA on me. HOA later made the mistake of letting slip someone on the board is specifically targeting me, so we're kinda at a Mexican standoff right now.

Past couple of years have been me redoing my back yard to make a privacy hedge comprised mostly of blackberries, honeysuckle, a pecan tree, apple trees, peaches, and some native fruit trees (hackberry, mulberry, and wild grape). They're gonna wish they let me keep the chickens when the blackberries and honeysuckle really take off :p. Also my yard attracts all the outdoor cats so I'm in the process of trapping them. So far my record is two owned cats and one TNR male. Aiming for a second TNR this week but we'll see whose pet cat I get instead this time. 9_9

Next step is to get my coop moved to a slightly more hidden location behind my house. Hoping by late this year or next spring I can risk a couple of chickens again. All of my immediate neighbors have told me they miss the chickens, and I do too.

Hello BYC peeps! I've also been pretty busy with my four kiddos, 14 chickens, 8 ducks and oh yeah, we decided to try out QUAIL! I have to admit these feathered critters are the most fun animal experiences I've had!
We've finally settled on a rooster that fits our family well (blue sapphire gem- he is super attentive and protective of the ladies but keeps his distance from my kids) and we actually had two old ladies pass away from old age which makes me think I'm doing alright if they're living long happy lives (golden laced wyndotte and red sex-link). I've still got EEs, OEs, BCMs, 1 barred rock, and 1 leghorn (who entertains the entire family with her antics).
The ducks are still fat and happy, wagging their little tails at us every time we go to take a walk around our pond. Captain (cayuga) still watches over his girls (pekin, rouen, crested pekin, blue swedish, and buff orpington).
I'm still figuring out the quail, although I have them in a large enclosure and they like to run up to my feet and peck at my toes cooing at me while I try to fill the feeder quickly. They're pretty entertaining.
We also have our resident Egyptian Geese that have adopted our pond as their home. We've watched them hatch two clutches each spring and we watch new dudes try to move in every spring only to get chased off in an overly-dramatic display of duck-manliness. Never a boring day at the homestead!

Attachments

• 20230429_163447.jpg
    20230429_163447.jpg
    952.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220314_191843.jpg
    20220314_191843.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 1
Hello everyone, I'm still on the right side of the dirt. Moved out of Cali and am now in Colorado.
Currently have a flock of Bielefelders, Barnevelders, Welsummers, and New Hampshires. They been giving out more eggs than we can deal with so have been blessing the neighbors and people we know with fresh butt nuggets.
Hope everyone is doing well!

Attachments

• 20231008_083235.jpg
    20231008_083235.jpg
    841.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231005_140426 (1).jpg
    20231005_140426 (1).jpg
    878.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231008_084159.jpg
    20231008_084159.jpg
    788.2 KB · Views: 4
I'm still here. It has been a rough winter and a bunch of my girls got pneumonia. I got most of them through it, but I did lose a few of the older girls. It never gets easier to lose my birdy buddies. But Spring is here and everyone is healthy again. Looking forward to dryer, warmer days.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)

im inside a small california beachtown. always had chickens, lived on a ranch a while and raised many critters including flocks of chickens. raised many different breeds.

ran into most of the problems discussed here at one time or another but there is always something to learn here and so much experience to fall back on with good and willing help. alot of good people here. i would say veterinarians could level up their experience by spending time here.

i only have 3 birds now, and a small coop. 2 new black australorps and a brahma.

the brahma is a great bird. very social, stout and heavy shanks. her beak has a little tweak but not enough to mess with. i recently added two juvenile black australorps and they are just now getting past the pecking welcoming and it has been about a month. i let them out unless it is raining. IMG_4335.jpeg IMG_4334.jpeg IMG_4333.jpeg IMG_4336.jpeg

Hello!
I am still considering raising chickens. I am watching what my neighbor does with hers and learning from her. She has Livestock Guard dogs and I do not. Knowing that there are coyotes and bobcats around (as well as snakes and hawks) I am still pondering how best to protect any future chickies.

Back
Top Bottom