Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Doing well. Of my original flock of 4, we lost two within the past two years. Was pretty devastated. Last year we got 3 new chicks and all is good. The original gals just turned 4 and the new gals just turned 1. The old gals stopped laying for over a year but once the new ones started the had to join in. All 5 are laying consistently. So glad we have them.

View attachment 3813549View attachment 3813550
Very pretty photos! ❤

Same here, lost 3 of 23 this past winter to illness, each a few weeks apart but in each case there was a clear wheezing and congestion and despite trying a few meds and remedies each was gone within a few days of symptoms starting. They're really good at hiding they aren't well until it's too late. One was our girl petunia, a blue splash that lost an eye to a fight a few days after her group of 6 joined the older gals in the coop. She toughed it out and ended up being the biggest hen we had despite having one eye, having to learn to tilt her head back and forth to judge distances for getting up and down from perches, and being targeted regularly by the others. In the process of adding a large fenced + cover-netted mini-pasture area off the enclosed run so they can get out and into the sun and graze some. Hoping that makes it easier since they need to be kept secure due to predator pressure. Hawks nest in the trees out back and we've "removed" 8 raccoons in 3 years!

Thanks for checking in! I've been wanting to take a minute and tell the story of "Little Guy." He came to us as an extra chick in our order. He had a gullet outside his body and it had exploded. He was a special chick to me and I asked on this site for help and the community responded! Here is a before photo and a photo from now - 4 years later! Thanks BYC community!
Wow, we love success stories, I'm glad he is thriving now! ❤

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
We are super buy touring colleges for my oldest! 😳 Other than lambing season, home schooling, and kids sports, what else do I have time for? Lol Here are a couple new additions to the flock. You better believe, I may not talk, but I do peek in here and there. I tell everyone about this site! It helped me tremendously in my beginning days, diagnosing times, and even ideas. Thank you to the entire community!
20231002_092049.jpg

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
You’re right we all do get busy with our birds. But I had a lovely conversation with a woman at our local Tractor Supply. She had just gotten into chickens and asked me a question and before I knew it, we’d been standing there almost an hour. I just love answering questions and helping people out when they’re starting on this fluffy feathery journey.

Our hens are doing very well, currently getting an average of 6 eggs a day from 7 brahmas and 3 Javas. We bought an 8x10 shed and converted it into a coop mainly because we wanted a place for them to be when we get extreme weather.

The Java’s are very smart and social, always want to hang with you when your in the coop. This picture is Princess and Ruth hanging out while I pick up poop from the pdz under the roost bar.

qx65dg.jpg

Our hens are doing very well, currently getting an average of 6 eggs a day from 7 brahmas and 3 Javas. We bought an 8x10 shed and converted it into a coop mainly because we wanted a place for them to be when we get extreme weather.

The Java’s are very smart and social, always want to hang with you when your in the coop. This picture is Princess and Ruth hanging out while I pick up poop from the pdz under the roost bar.

0k18wg.jpg
Very pretty hens! :love

Good Morning and thank you for checking in. Yes, I'm still here and I have been busy, just got a new batch of chicks.

Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that my neighbor has been harboring a mother fox and her babies. They found the chickens on Wednesday. I have two survivors that managed to escape, but I'm unsure what to do with them, especially since now I know the foxes will surely be back to their "hunting grounds." I don't have the time or $$ to rebuild a tighter perimeter, plus I do not want to close up these hens that are used to free-ranging, so I think the only option is to give them away. I do not think I will be starting over, as long as I have a fox-loving neighbor...

Back
Top Bottom