Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
You're right - been very busy. But my little banty hen (Mama) of unknown breed (feed store purchase) is a great setter. She wanted to set starting in early March, so she hatched 2 little chicks on Easter! And what's extra special about it - the hen that laid the eggs is one Mama hatched and raised last year. So now she has two little half brahma banty (the dad) and half orpington/easter egger full size (the mom) chicks.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)

Well funny you should ask. We asked our tiny flock of bantams to join us on a cross country track to the east coast via car last summer and they were such wonderful passengers. Now they're living in a wonderful yard with lots of trees and grass and 4 seasons to get used to. They are all very happy.
PXL_20240408_192201255.jpeg

Hi! It’s been a long time. A lot has changed for me, including the fact that I no longer have chickens.

Due to unfortunate circumstances out of my control, I had to move to an apartment and rehome my rescue rooster and my three partridge chantecler hens. It was very stressful, because they were all difficult to find the right homes for, but in the end I found them all wonderful homes.

My rooster Gizmo used to be unable to be around other chickens without fighting constantly. I kept him in a pen adjacent to but separate from the hens. I first tried to rehome him to my friend’s bachelor flock, thinking being away from hens would chill him out, but he kept fighting with her head rooster Anakin who was several times the size of him to the point poor Ani was too scared to be near him. My friend lives on her BILs farm, so as a last ditch effort she introduced Gizmo to his free range mixed sex flock. Turns out, that’s exactly what Gizmo needed. And since then, he’s become a doting step-father to a hen with chicks (normally she chases everyone away but lets him stay around), which is a really sweet turn of events.

My hens (Juniper, Athena, Eglantine) were also difficult to find a home for because they are all 5+yrs old and on hormonal implants for chronic EYP-so whoever adopted them needed to be ok that they wouldn’t lay anymore, and would need regular vet visits. To sweeten the deal, I offered my coop with them, and will continue to pay for their implants until they die since I get an employee discount at my clinic and it means I can make sure they get the medical care they need. Luckily, a friend of a friend who is also an ex-vet tech happened to be looking to get some chickens, and they didn’t care about eggs! It wasn’t easy transporting the whole coop there, but we got her done and the hens are so happy and loved there.

I miss them, but I’m so relieved they are all doing so well in their new homes. I couldn’t have asked for a better outcome to an awful situation. I probably won’t be frequenting these forums much because I’m so busy (doing a PhD!), but I wish y’all the best :)

Picture of my girls and boy before they were rehomed

IMG_0625.jpeg

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi there! I had a tough fall with my tiny flock. I got two baby chicks over the summer to try to trick a hen into not brooding. It didn’t work but I fell in love with them so kept them. One had just laid her first tiny egg when she was taken by a fox that got under our fence. Shortly afterwards, my husband inadvertently killed the second one. Thankfully, my five original hens are still going strong.

Hi Nify,
Thanks for checking on me. I haven't been on here because my wild ducks have grown and have moved on out of their mom's apartment. LOL!
Just a few weeks ago, a dog killed a mamma duck that left 5 of her eggs on a nest that we've been watching. I brought them in and put them in my incubator. Oh boy..here we go again!
I knew it was close and 10 days later...all 5 hatched and are doing well.
Muscovy's must be really hardy because my first rescue of 3, all 3 hatched and after training them to go to the pond, etc..., they all thrived. One, has become a mamma herself.
This next batch all hatched fine as well. I read where usually there's only a 60% hatch rate. I have no idea because I don't have a clue.
They are two weeks old now. Just started putting them outside in my make-shift duck coop for a few hours.
At night they are back in the spare bedroom. Not easy with 4 dogs that would like to eat them!

Attachments

• IMG_5552.jpeg
    IMG_5552.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi there! I had a tough fall with my tiny flock. I got two baby chicks over the summer to try to trick a hen into not brooding. It didn’t work but I fell in love with them so kept them. One had just laid her first tiny egg when she was taken by a fox that got under our fence. Shortly afterwards, my husband inadvertently killed the second one. Thankfully, my five original hens are still going strong.
That stinks. Glad you still have 5 to keep your life busy!

Hi! It’s been a long time. A lot has changed for me, including the fact that I no longer have chickens.

Due to unfortunate circumstances out of my control, I had to move to an apartment and rehome my rescue rooster and my three partridge chantecler hens. It was very stressful, because they were all difficult to find the right homes for, but in the end I found them all wonderful homes.

My rooster Gizmo used to be unable to be around other chickens without fighting constantly. I kept him in a pen adjacent to but separate from the hens. I first tried to rehome him to my friend’s bachelor flock, thinking being away from hens would chill him out, but he kept fighting with her head rooster Anakin who was several times the size of him to the point poor Ani was too scared to be near him. My friend lives on her BILs farm, so as a last ditch effort she introduced Gizmo to his free range mixed sex flock. Turns out, that’s exactly what Gizmo needed. And since then, he’s become a doting step-father to a hen with chicks (normally she chases everyone away but lets him stay around), which is a really sweet turn of events.

My hens (Juniper, Athena, Eglantine) were also difficult to find a home for because they are all 5+yrs old and on hormonal implants for chronic EYP-so whoever adopted them needed to be ok that they wouldn’t lay anymore, and would need regular vet visits. To sweeten the deal, I offered my coop with them, and will continue to pay for their implants until they die since I get an employee discount at my clinic and it means I can make sure they get the medical care they need. Luckily, a friend of a friend who is also an ex-vet tech happened to be looking to get some chickens, and they didn’t care about eggs! It wasn’t easy transporting the whole coop there, but we got her done and the hens are so happy and loved there.

I miss them, but I’m so relieved they are all doing so well in their new homes. I couldn’t have asked for a better outcome to an awful situation. I probably won’t be frequenting these forums much because I’m so busy (doing a PhD!), but I wish y’all the best :)

Picture of my girls and boy before they were rehomed

View attachment 3813645
So glad you had a happy ending!

Hello everyone sorry I haven't visit BYC in a while, all is good in my little coop now, one of my Serama baby was very sick finally I found a Vet that treated her and it seems she is OK although she lost all her feathers from her head and neck an it doesn't look like they're coming back 😟 but she still is my baby. I made her a little scarf and she looks adorable 🥰.

Attachments

• PXL_20240208_193859017.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240208_193859017.MP.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240208_193849156.jpg
    PXL_20240208_193849156.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom