Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

I'm still around but taking care of my mom is almost a full-time job. We still have our original 5 girls. Last fall they went into a molt that seemed to last the rest of the year. We actually had to buy eggs and we let the girls know it! We got three pullets beginning of this year and now that they are laying, the older girls must have felt that they should step up. Yes, we have more eggs than we can use but our neighbors love us!
I'm still around but taking care of my mom is almost a full-time job. We still have our original 5 girls. Last fall they went into a molt that seemed to last the rest of the year. We actually had to buy eggs and we let the girls know it! We got three pullets beginning of this year and now that they are laying, the older girls must have felt that they should step up. Yes, we have more eggs than we can use but our neighbors love us!
That’s an amazing story! Glad you are doing well and welcome back!

Hello, Everybody!

Still alive, though not too muck kicking nowadays. At 75 if you try kicking you may fall on your butt!

I am almost done with my chickening. I have 6 chickens left: 4 Australorp roosters, one Australorp hen and a 10-year-old green- egger hen. All the Australorps are about 6 or 7 years old and were hatched here. They are now officially retired. No eggs from the the two hens. The two hens and one rooster roam free during the day and we put them up for the night in the garage, where they sleep safely in three cages, where nocturnal predators cannot kill them. They have learned the routine, and every night they wait by the garage's man door and when we open it each of them goes to its respective cage. The rooster is lame. Something happened to one of his toes, and we are treating it with Thrush Buster, a horse medicine. The other three roosters are in a predator-proof enclosure and sleep in a chicken house within the enclosure. They are all pet chickens and it never entered our minds to butcher them. My wife a few months ago did shoot another rooster that was part of the same hatch as the other Australorps. She had gone into another enclosure/chicken house we used to have to close the door for the night, and the rooster attacked her, inflicting several punctures and scratches on her arms and chest. She was carrying her 9mm automatic and after shaking the bird off her, she let him have it. He had been a threat all along. After all these remaining birds will have died from natural causes or other causes, no more chickens for us. They are nice to have, but we are old folks and it takes too much work to take proper care of chickens. It was a fun experience of which we have fond memories (Few things are more satisfactory than going to the chicken house and collecting a dozen or more eggs or finding just-hatched chicks and placing them in a nice, safe cage under a heat lamp in the garage and then watch them grow...).

Happy chickening to y'all

Giovanni
Glad you’re doing well and even if you don’t have chickens, we still welcome you to hangout and chat!

I’m still here but sometimes life gets in the way when we want to do other things!! Currently, I am taking eggs away daily from 2 broody hens!! I am only finding half the number of eggs in the coop than I did before they went broody! Now, to find out where the rest of the girls are laying...

I still have my backyard quail in a big aviary. I also got some finches and doves to populate the upper half. I’m in a neighborhood so I am trying to rehome a pair of doves because two males is just a little loud! But all is well. I read about how Americans abandoned the pigeon, what used to be self feeding meat and egg birds we have rejected as “flying rats” when we brought them here… but now I wonder if pigeons aren’t the ideal kept bird- no feed necessary.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hello,
Update on our chicken life. Last year wasn't a good year. We had worked on getting Dark Brahma chicks and ended up with Dark Brahma Bantam roosters. We can't have roosters in town. Bad thing was that a raccoon invaded the neighborhood and we lost two of them. Gave the other away to someone who lives in the country. Also lost my dear light Brahma hen to the same darn raccoon. We now have a timed solar door on the coop that opens and shuts according to the light of day. Raccoon has been relocated to the country by a river.
We did acquire 3 red hens of which I forget their breed but they lay quite regularly. So, at this time we have the three new ones, a hybrid hen and our old (7 years) Barred Rock hen who still lays eggs.
We love being Chicken Chicks!!

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 0
I still have my backyard quail in a big aviary. I also got some finches and doves to populate the upper half. I’m in a neighborhood so I am trying to rehome a pair of doves because two males is just a little loud! But all is well. I read about how Americans abandoned the pigeon, what used to be self feeding meat and egg birds we have rejected as “flying rats” when we brought them here… but now I wonder if pigeons aren’t the ideal kept bird- no feed necessary.
I'd like to see pics of your aviary!

Hey guys! Haven't been on in a while! My chickens are doing good! Just started letting them out into my backyard to start foraging now that the weathers nice and plants are starting to come back!
Love this time of year. I bet your chickens are loving it too. :)

View attachment 3813070View attachment 3813082View attachment 3813083View attachment 3813084View attachment 3813085View attachment 3813086View attachment 3813087View attachment 3813088View attachment 3813089View attachment 3813091View attachment 3813092It’s been very busy here. Last spring we added 4 more chicks, 1 Easter egger (she’s crazy lol), 1 Buff Orpington & 2 lavender Orpingtons. Hubby built a shed (air conditioned) with a nursery/infirmary. They integrated well with our older chickens, with no major problems. They are a year old now & thriving. So we are up to 7 hens, with 6 laying. We expanded their outside run for lots of space for them and added a misting system for our brutally hot summers.
View attachment 3813070
Adorable chicks! Love your coop!

Back
Top Bottom