Chemicals or Disinfectants to use in Cabinet Incubator?

chickenlady3

Songster
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Central California
I just bought a used cabinet incubator and it is FILTHY! Any ideas on what chemicals I can use to safely remove all the gunk?? Any other tips I need to know on cleaning? Thanks!

I don't have a cabinet incubator, but I can tell you what I use to clean my regular incubator. Hot water and unscented soap work for me. Sometimes I clean the clear plastic viewing piece with white vinegar solution, just like I do my mirrors and windows. I hope someone with cabinet incubator experience comes along. You could probably use a bleach solution provided you let it air out sufficiently afterwards.

A couple of my sportsmans came to me really dirty. I removed the back panel to provide good access. After removing the screws you will probably find the back is still attached with double sided tape. You may have to pry it loose. I scraped and vacuumed the worst of it and then scrubbed it with a scotchbrite pad with a mild warm water and bleach solution. I did this work outside so I could rinse it with a hose, avoiding wetting the electric portion as much as possible. You will probably need a new seal to reinstall the back. A roll of self adhesive foam weatherstrip from Home Depot or Lowe's should work.

I have a cabinet incubator and I use the Brinsea disinfectant in the water reservoir. I also dip eggs in a warm disinfectant/water mixture and let them air dry before putting them in the 'bator.

The problem I'm having right now is the SHIPPING cost for 2 of those dinky little bottles is $10.00. The bottle itself only costs $8.00. Don't ask me why this is, but it's very troubling. When I ordered them from Double R last year, they came in a little padded envelope. $10.00?? Huh??

Terry

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with using Diluted White Vinegar for cleaning the cabinet incubator. Not too long ago I read a thread where a woman had a GQF Cabinet incubator, and her hatch rates were diminishing more and more every time she incubated. The other forum members had decided that it was more than likely because she was using bleach, and not rinsing very well after ward.

I use the dollar store brand Disinfecting Wipes for my cooler incubator.

for large incubator I use hot steam 300 C (3 times the boiling Temperature) for half an hour, then spray the I with a 5% vircon c solution, I do not wash away the cleaning agent, the eggs will take no damage, wash with chlorine or peroxide is also a good solution, Incubators MUST always be washed before use,,,, bacteria and viruses grow quickly in damp and warm climate,,, bacteria walking easy through the eggshell, if scientists want to grow a virus or a bacterium, they use a incubator for this,,, Egg is a medium they infect, which nourishes the bacteria,, including Antrax are grown in an incubator,,,cleanliness is a very critical factor for a high hatch rate,, You can not see if a incubator is clean

Happy Hatch

Back
Top Bottom