Chick Casualties

When was the last time your well water was tested? I would think if you are drinking it, it should be fine. But that's all I can think of. I'm hoping one of the people I tagged will chime in soon. I haven't ever used hemp bedding, but I know lots of people do. And what is the temperature of the water? It should be around 90-100
Water is nice and warm. Have bottled water in there now. Just pulled the plate out. Went and checked on everyone when i was switching to bottled water and the last sussex and a barred rock were on their side again under it and are not looking promising whatsoever.

Only conclusion i am coming to is they are eating the bedding. Have put a layer of paper towels down covering everything so they cant get to bedding at all and see what we have this evening/tomorrow morning

Only conclusion i am coming to is they are eating the bedding. Have put a layer of paper towels down covering everything so they cant get to bedding at all and see what we have this evening/tomorrow morning
Ok. You could also try the premium pine bedding. Not the little bitty pieces that chicks will eat, but big pieces

Water is nice and warm. Have bottled water in there now. Just pulled the plate out. Went and checked on everyone when i was switching to bottled water and the last sussex and a barred rock were on their side again under it and are not looking promising whatsoever.
They will probably be dead by tomorrow ☹️

By chance you don't have a gas furnace or water heater in the garage, want to rule out carbon monoxide.
Have both but a chocolate lab that is an outside dog during the day that loves to sleep in the garage all day and have a detector in the garage as well. Don’t believe its that.

**As of this evening after the 15 mail chicks passing and 1 tsc chick passing, we have 7 healthy looking chicks sprinting around eating drinking having a good time. Have said how well the group was before so we will see how they do tonight. WILL UPDATE IN THE MORNING**

Have both but a chocolate lab that is an outside dog during the day that loves to sleep in the garage all day and have a detector in the garage as well. Don’t believe its that.

**As of this evening after the 15 mail chicks passing and 1 tsc chick passing, we have 7 healthy looking chicks sprinting around eating drinking having a good time. Have said how well the group was before so we will see how they do tonight. WILL UPDATE IN THE MORNING**
Those ones will probably live, if they make it through tomorrow.

I'm really wondering if they were eating the hemp bedding and impacting their crops, but you also changed the water. For now, since they are doing well, I would not change anything back - but please do update. Also, your dog has a lot more body mass than a tiny chick - so less amount of gas will impact them a lot more. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

IMO it's likely shipping stress, as you're working with the odds against you if chicks are being shipped in cold (or hot) temperatures.

I do agree that checking the garage for any carbon monoxide, gas leaks, etc. would be a good idea. Also since you're on well water switching to bottled would remove that as a possible cause.

IMO it's likely shipping stress, as you're working with the odds against you if chicks are being shipped in cold (or hot) temperatures.

I do agree that checking the garage for any carbon monoxide, gas leaks, etc. would be a good idea. Also since you're on well water switching to bottled would remove that as a possible cause.
We were talking earlier today and they already replaced the water with bottled and bedding. All the shipped chicks died - and a replacement from TSC did as well. They also have a CO2 alarm. I'm following along to see how they are in the morning. Fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom