Chick eyes

Millylou18

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
My silkie hatched out 5 chicks yesterday. This one fell out of the box and couldn't find it's way back in. I put it in and this next morning it was just sitting alone and couldn't keep up. It kept one eye closed. Later I noticed she got knocked over on her back and couldn't get up. I took her inside and after some egg yolk and water. She perked up. But her eyes have these blue/grey cataract looking things. Wondering if maybe she's blind? Any advice, or anyone ever see this before?

Attachments

• 20240513_133542.jpg
    20240513_133542.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 11
My silkie hatched out 5 chicks yesterday. This one fell out of the box and couldn't find it's way back in. I put it in and this next morning it was just sitting alone and couldn't keep up. It kept one eye closed. Later I noticed she got knocked over on her back and couldn't get up. I took her inside and after some egg yolk and water. She perked up. But her eyes have these blue/grey cataract looking things. Wondering if maybe she's blind? Any advice, or anyone ever see this before?
You could try rinse its eyes with a saline solution and I might go as far as to put some Terramycin in its eyes just in case it's got an eye infection, but for a day-old chick, that's a long shot they'd get an infection that fast. I believe it is blind but I'd try the other things just in case. So sorry if it is. I've heard of blind chickens getting along just fine provided in a small run, not free-ranging.

Back
Top Bottom