Chick Integration 9 week old with 2 week old

Chapman Family

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2020
I seem to get the most helpful information in this community and with the internet having SSOOOOO much to read I would like to know what procedures are the best to integrate my birds. I have 4, 9 week old Marans, of which 2 I am suspecting to be roos . I started off with 13 in my first flock but unfortunately learned that I cannot trust my dog around them. I have recently received a new flock of 13, unsure of sex or breed but most look like Marans also. Flock 1 is out in the coop now, coop and run are completed. I created a small "chicken tractor" of hardware and 2x4's and intend to let flock 2 play in the tractor next to the run a few times but I am uncertain of how to move forward from there. I am eager to get the chicks out as I have had a brooder in the house now since April :barnie. I obviously wont put them out until they are feathered out but I want them to be ready to integrate as soon as their feathers are in. Thank you in advance for all ideas.

Hi there. You can start integration now, usually younger is better if they're all fairly close in age. You don't list your location but if you're in the northern hemisphere it should be fine to take the younger flock out and start the see but no touch period. Let them stay in the tractor next to the run for a couple of weeks, then combine them.

You have a few options to move forward. Put the younger birds in the coop at night and let everyone wake up together. Or put everyone in the run together so they get a little supervised visitation and see how it goes. If you use the second option try putting the newbies in the run before letting the others out in the morning.

I have never had any problems integrating pullets and cockerels at this age. I always set up at least two feeding and watering stations. There might be a few days where there is obvious division within the groups but they will work it out and be just fine.

Hi there. You can start integration now, usually younger is better if they're all fairly close in age. You don't list your location but if you're in the northern hemisphere it should be fine to take the younger flock out and start the see but no touch period. Let them stay in the tractor next to the run for a couple of weeks, then combine them.

You have a few options to move forward. Put the younger birds in the coop at night and let everyone wake up together. Or put everyone in the run together so they get a little supervised visitation and see how it goes. If you use the second option try putting the newbies in the run before letting the others out in the morning.

Thank you! I like the idea of putting the young ones in the run before the bigger ones come out of the coop!

I have never had any problems integrating pullets and cockerels at this age. I always set up at least two feeding and watering stations. There might be a few days where there is obvious division within the groups but they will work it out and be just fine.

Thank you. So much to learn the first time around. Happy to have found this community, even if only for mental chicken stability. :lau

Back
Top Bottom