Chick with legs turned inward

nevrenufanimals

Songster
11 Years
Feb 15, 2013
Southeast Louisiana
This little gal is about 6 weeks old. She arrived with a really weird gait, but its legs werent doing this. Now they are really turned inward. Is there any treatment for this? Can she survive with this?
chick 1.jpg
IMG_4725.jpg
IMG_4726.jpg

Looks like some type of deformity.

Not sure if this can be corrected. Can the feet be gently straightened or does she indicate a lot of pain when you move them about?

Hard to know about long term survivability and/or quality of life. I can see a future with sores on the feet that's for sure.

No, doubtful she will be able to roost. I've never had Silkies, but some folks that do have said they don't really roost? @Debbie292d do your Silkies roost?

She may need a little box/nest to snuggle down into at night instead of roosting. Can she seem to sit o.k. or does she sprawl/lounge?

I'd work the feet gently and see if they are permanently locked in place, they may be by now with her age. Sometimes feet can be corrected when caught at hatch, but as they get older, the bones set pretty quickly, usually within the first 2 weeks.

IF this is a deformity (I think so), then you may not have been able to correct them even at hatch.

My 2 silkie hens did roost with the large hens on 3-4 foot roosts. This hen probably should have been treated as a day old chick when the feet and toes are pliable. Then the breeder could have used human vitamin B complex for riboflavin and made chick shoes with toes taped flat. The chick may have a leg bone deformity or just a riboflavin deficiency. Riboflavin deficiency must be treated right away or it becomes permanent. You could give her 1/4 tablet of b complex or a chick vitamin with riboflavin listed on the label. Some do not. I agree with Wyorp Rock that you could see if her toes will move to a normal position, but if it hurts, I would leave it alone. Have you contacted the breeder about this one. They should exchange it for another silkie since this one may be permanently affected.

I ordered some splints and tried to manipulate her feet to see if splints would help. Nope, I am unable to move them much at all. So that is not an option. Chick came from a hatchery and they are unwilling to replace/refund for her at this time. I also checked with some vets in my area. the only ones that will see her start off with fees in hundreds of $$$ just to examine, Xrays, etc. so cant do that. She's getting around pretty well otherwise. I'll just support her as best I can. She has a nice area to bed down in the coop other than roost once she joins the big girls. (My first hens were all silkies so thats not a problem they would never roost at night) May have to get her a new silkie friend to sleep with :thumbsup

I ordered some splints and tried to manipulate her feet to see if splints would help. Nope, I am unable to move them much at all. So that is not an option. Chick came from a hatchery and they are unwilling to replace/refund for her at this time. I also checked with some vets in my area. the only ones that will see her start off with fees in hundreds of $$$ just to examine, Xrays, etc. so cant do that. She's getting around pretty well otherwise. I'll just support her as best I can. She has a nice area to bed down in the coop other than roost once she joins the big girls. (My first hens were all silkies so thats not a problem they would never roost at night) May have to get her a new silkie friend to sleep with :thumbsup
I was afraid that they may be that way permanently, but chickens adapt!
Sounds like she's holding her own. The only thing I would monitor is the turned over foot just to be sure it's not getting a callous or sore because of the way she would walk on the *top*. You may find as she gets older and heavier, she may need to be placed in sling for short periods of time to help get the weight off the foot or this may never be an issue!

Getting her a friend sounds like a great idea. I've never had silkies but they look snuggly.

Actually, her foot is not turned over. They are both correct as far as the bottoms touching the ground. She is just really really pigeon toed! both of her feet literally face each other. Since she has 5 toes, I cant really tell which toes are supposed to go where even if I could get a splint on it, they kind of smash together in the back. (hard to describe accurately)

Actually, her foot is not turned over. They are both correct as far as the bottoms touching the ground. She is just really really pigeon toed! both of her feet literally face each other. Since she has 5 toes, I cant really tell which toes are supposed to go where even if I could get a splint on it, they kind of smash together in the back. (hard to describe accurately)
Oh, that's sort of good then, so she's walking on the footpad instead of the top of the toes.

No, doubtful she will be able to roost. I've never had Silkies, but some folks that do have said they don't really roost? @Debbie292d do your Silkies roost?

She may need a little box/nest to snuggle down into at night instead of roosting. Can she seem to sit o.k. or does she sprawl/lounge?

I'd work the feet gently and see if they are permanently locked in place, they may be by now with her age. Sometimes feet can be corrected when caught at hatch, but as they get older, the bones set pretty quickly, usually within the first 2 weeks.

IF this is a deformity (I think so), then you may not have been able to correct them even at hatch.
No, mine do not roost. They sit on top of the nest boxes or on the walkway in front of the nest boxes. We've tried roosts at various levels and they wouldn't use them. I think this is in part because they cannot fly. I suppose they don't feel secure on a roost because if they get bumped, they'll fall.

(Sorry so slow to reply but I missed the tag.)

Back
Top Bottom